Amount of Terms Required to Find a Sum at an Indicated Accuracy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 11K views
NastyAccident
Messages
60
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Show that the series is convergent. How many terms of the series do we need to add in order to find the sum to the indicated accuracy?

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{n*9^{n}}[/tex]
(|error| < 0.0001)

Homework Equations


Alternating Series Test
General knowledge of adding series up...

The Attempt at a Solution


Alternating Series Test
1.) Limit x->infinity
[tex]\frac{(-1)^{n}}{n*9^{n}}[/tex] = 0
2.) Decreasing eventually for n (really immediately)
[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{(n+1)*9^{n+1}} < \sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{n*9^{n}}[/tex]

By the Alternating Series Test, this series ([tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{n*9^{n}}[/tex]) is convergent.

Well, I originally choose n = 4 terms in order to find the indicated accuracy. However, that was wrong.

So, I'm sort of scratching my head as to what I did wrong...

My approach:
[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{n*9^{n}}[/tex]

I start listing out an's terms -
|an| < 0.0001
a1 = 0.11111111111
a2 = 0.006172839506
a3 = 0.000457247370
a4 = 0.000038103947
a5 = 0.000003387017
a6 = 0.000000313612
a7 = 0.000000029867

a4 < 0.0001, so n should equal four terms... However, it doesn't for some odd reason?

Any help/suggestions as to where I went wrong are appreciated and will be thanked!
NastyAccident
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have an alternating series, so every other an (starting from aa) should be negative. You show all of them as positive in your list.
 
Mark44 said:
You have an alternating series, so every other an (starting from aa) should be negative. You show all of them as positive in your list.

So, in essence, I shouldn't of taken the absolute value of each of the an's and should of left it with the +/- signs?

If that is the case, then the problem should be okay for n = 3?

Since:
[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{n*9^{n}}[/tex]
is within
[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{(1)^{n+1}}{(n+1)*9^{(n+1)}}[/tex]
which gives me:

an < 0.0001
a1 = 0.061728395
a2 = 0.0004572473708
a3 = 0.000038103947
a4 = 0.000003387017
a5 = 0.000000313612
a6 = 0.000000029867

So, n = 3 would be correct...
 
Last edited:
Right. You don't want the abs. value of your terms. Just add them up. Your estimate with a1 + a2 + a3 should be within .0001 of the actual value of the infinite sum. You did add up the three terms, right?