Amperage ratings on DC power supplies

In summary, Kerry is asking if it is safe to use a 1.25 A power supply with his router that requires 1.0 A, and his concern is that his previous power supply may have been fried due to loading issues. He is wondering if there are any other factors to consider before using the new power supply.
KLoux
Hello,

I'm hoping that by asking this question I can save myself a couple of bucks. I have a DC power supply for a router that is rated for 1.0 A. My router stopped working, and I traced the problem to the power supply. It's a 12 V supply putting out 0.1 V. I have other 12 V supplies, but the closet I can get on the amperage is 1.25 A. My thinking is that the router probably won't draw more than 1.0 A anyway, so a 1.25 A power supply would still be OK. Is this safe? Is there anything else that I'm not considering (what ifs?) What I don't want to do is fry the router and have to spend $70 instead of ~$10 for a new power supply.

Thanks,

Kerry

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is your router specs? If it draws 1 amp then that is probably why the power supply got fried. With a 1.25 amp rateing, you're good to go. With the extra rateing, the supply will run cooler.

It was the power supply that came with the router, and the router has 12V, 1.0A printed on it, too.

Thanks for the help, I'll give it a shot!

-Kerry

did you measure the supply unconnected to the router?
If not your router may have some problem, this seems like a loading issue.
So another supply won't help.

1. What is amperage rating on a DC power supply?

The amperage rating on a DC power supply refers to the maximum amount of electric current that the power supply can provide to a connected device or system. It is usually expressed in amperes (A) and is an important specification to consider when choosing a power supply for a specific application.

2. How does amperage rating affect the performance of a DC power supply?

The amperage rating of a DC power supply is directly related to its maximum power output. A higher amperage rating means that the power supply is capable of delivering more current to a connected device, which can result in better performance and efficiency. However, using a power supply with a higher amperage rating than what is needed for a device can also lead to potential safety hazards.

3. How do I determine the appropriate amperage rating for my application?

The appropriate amperage rating for a DC power supply depends on the specific needs and requirements of your application. It is important to consider factors such as the voltage and current requirements of your device, as well as any potential future expansions or additions to your system. It is recommended to consult with a knowledgeable expert or refer to the device's specifications to determine the appropriate amperage rating.

4. What happens if I use a DC power supply with a lower amperage rating than what is needed?

Using a power supply with a lower amperage rating than what is needed for a device can result in inadequate power being delivered, causing the device to not function properly or potentially damaging the power supply. It is important to always use a power supply with an amperage rating that meets or exceeds the requirements of your device.

5. Can I increase the amperage rating of a DC power supply?

No, the amperage rating of a DC power supply is a fixed specification that cannot be changed. However, you can use multiple power supplies in parallel to increase the total amperage output if needed for your application. It is important to ensure that all power supplies are properly connected and synchronized to prevent any potential safety hazards.