Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amperage ratings on DC power supplies

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1

I'm hoping that by asking this question I can save myself a couple of bucks. I have a DC power supply for a router that is rated for 1.0 A. My router stopped working, and I traced the problem to the power supply. It's a 12 V supply putting out 0.1 V. I have other 12 V supplies, but the closet I can get on the amperage is 1.25 A. My thinking is that the router probably won't draw more than 1.0 A anyway, so a 1.25 A power supply would still be OK. Is this safe? Is there anything else that I'm not considering (what ifs?) What I don't want to do is fry the router and have to spend $70 instead of ~$10 for a new power supply.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is your router specs? If it draws 1 amp then that is probably why the power supply got fried. With a 1.25 amp rateing, you're good to go. With the extra rateing, the supply will run cooler.
  4. Oct 11, 2008 #3
    It was the power supply that came with the router, and the router has 12V, 1.0A printed on it, too.

Thanks for the help, I'll give it a shot!

5. Oct 13, 2008 #4
    did you measure the supply unconnected to the router?
    If not your router may have some problem, this seems like a loading issue.
    So another supply wont help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?