Low DC amp through small circuit of 14 AWG copper wire?

In summary: Everything is in series, including multi meter. Have also tested with analog Voltmeters and Ammeters DC. Is the power supply really that current limiting that i can't even get close?Based on your questions, it looks like the power supply may be limiting the current that you are able to get through the resistor. You might want to try measuring the current through the resistor with a meter or an analog voltmeter.
Porter22
I have a 2 AMP regulated DC power supply, with variable voltage 3 - 12 v. If in a small circuit, i.e, small copper wire with 1 ohm resistor. Why am i not getting at max Amps?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What does your power supply look like? Doesn't it have its own resistance? Have you considered that?

Aside from that, what size copper wire are you using and what is its resistance?

I suggest you draw out a sketch of your circuit and the values of each resistance along with the voltage setting. What do your calculations show for the current when the voltage is 12 V?

Porter22 said:
I have a 2 AMP regulated DC power supply, with variable voltage 3 - 12 v. If in a small circuit, i.e, small copper wire with 1 ohm resistor. Why am i not getting at max Amps?

does your power supply have current limiting? if so, then that is what is happening when you are presenting the PSU with a short circuit

as magoo asked ... what sort of PSU ?
Dave

magoo said:
What does your power supply look like? Doesn't it have its own resistance? Have you considered that?
]
IMG_4581.JPG

I attached a pic of the PSU..
I have done some calculations assuming (generously and for simplicity, i think) that the wire has .3ohms. So at 3V, shouldn't i be getting 10 A?

I understand there may be "short-circuit" prevention elements in this PSU. Is this what you're talking about?This could be exactly the problem right? Other than that, I have measured the V across the PSU outputs at each of the Voltage levels. Each one is accurate to .05 V. Therefore, i think, internal resistance of the PSU can be taken out of the equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
davenn said:
does your power supply have current limiting? if so, then that is what is happening when you are presenting the PSU with a short circuit

as magoo asked ... what sort of PSU ?
Dave
Also what kind of batteries could I use (in short bursts to avoid battery malfunction) to measure high A in discharge?

Porter22 said:
the wire has .3ohms. So at 3V, shouldn't i be getting 10 A?
Not with that power supply. It's output is rated at 2A max. Try putting 12V across a 6 Ohm power resistor. How much power will that be? (Be sure to use high enough wattage resistor to not smoke the resistor).
Porter22 said:
Also what kind of batteries could I use (in short bursts to avoid battery malfunction) to measure high A in discharge?
Based on your questions, there are no batteries that you should try to use to obtain high output currents. You don't have the experience yet to be working with high powers. That's how batteries fail and burst or catch fire...

http://techbakbak.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/hoverboards-are-setting-homes-on-fire.jpg
hoverboards-are-setting-homes-on-fire.jpg

Likes davenn
Porter22 said:
I attached a pic of the PSU..
I have done some calculations assuming (generously and for simplicity, i think) that the wire has .3ohms. So at 3V, shouldn't i be getting 10 A?

As Berkeman said, no it won't supply more current that it's designed to ... in this case 2A max

I understand there may be "short-circuit" prevention elements in this PSU. Is this what you're talking about?

Yes
It says it's a regulated PSU. The overcurrent protection will be either be 1) part of that normal protection in the regulator chip
or 2) will be made up of discrete components

just as an example of a voltage regulator chip ... note the two comments I have circled

ss.JPG
Dave

berkeman said:
Not with that power supply. It's output is rated at 2A max. Try putting 12V across a 6 Ohm power resistor. How much power will that be? (Be sure to use high enough wattage resistor to not smoke the resistor).

Based on your questions, there are no batteries that you should try to use to obtain high output currents. You don't have the experience yet to be working with high powers. That's how batteries fail and burst or catch fire...

http://techbakbak.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/hoverboards-are-setting-homes-on-fire.jpg
View attachment 118370

I got variable 25 W resistor, and set it to 6.0 ohms. Which should give 2 A of current and 24 W power through the resistor. I'm currently reading 0.28 A at 12 V... Whats going on here?

If I measure the resistance of the entire circuit I'm getting 0.685k Ohms which would give .0175 Amp. which also doesn't really make sense... Everything is in series, including multi meter. Have also tested with analog Voltmeters and Ammeters DC. Is the power supply really that that current limiting that i can't even get close?

Porter22 said:
I got variable 25 W resistor, and set it to 6.0 ohms. Which should give 2 A of current and 24 W power through the resistor. I'm currently reading 0.28 A at 12 V... Whats going on here?

If I measure the resistance of the entire circuit I'm getting 0.685k Ohms which would give .0175 Amp. which also doesn't really make sense... Everything is in series, including multi meter. Have also tested with analog Voltmeters and Ammeters DC. Is the power supply really that that current limiting that i can't even get close?
In the series current measurement mode, a DMM has a non-trivial resistance. That is how it makes a small voltage to figure out what the series current is.

Take the series DVM out of the circuit and just measure the resistance of your potentiometer before hooking it in. Then just monitor the voltage across that resistance to figure out the current. That's a much less invasive way to figure out the current.

And is your potentiometer capable of handling 25W? Probably not, so just be ready to disconnect it quickly if it overheats...

berkeman said:
In the series current measurement mode, a DMM has a non-trivial resistance. That is how it makes a small voltage to figure out what the series current is.

Take the series DVM out of the circuit and just measure the resistance of your potentiometer before hooking it in. Then just monitor the voltage across that resistance to figure out the current. That's a much less invasive way to figure out the current.

And is your potentiometer capable of handling 25W? Probably not, so just be ready to disconnect it quickly if it overheats...

That worked, and i checked it with an analog ammeter
And its a ceramic variable resistor that said it is 25 W so i think I am good but ill check it for short bursts.

Likes berkeman
Something to check for:

Search on term "Foldback Current Limiting"
first on 'net to learn what it is
then in your instruction book to see whether your supply has it.

Likes berkeman
jim hardy said:
"Foldback Current Limiting"
And a Quiz Question for the OP @Porter22 -- why would a linear regulator power supply usually use Foldback Current Limiting, and a switching regulator power supply not? :smile:

Likes jim hardy

1. What is the maximum amount of DC amperage that can safely flow through a 14 AWG copper wire?

The maximum safe DC amperage for a 14 AWG copper wire is typically around 15 amps.

2. Can I use a 14 AWG copper wire for high voltage applications?

No, 14 AWG copper wire is not suitable for high voltage applications. It is designed for low voltage and low amperage circuits.

3. How do I determine the amperage rating for a circuit using 14 AWG copper wire?

The amperage rating for a circuit using 14 AWG copper wire can be determined by consulting the wire's ampacity chart. This chart takes into account factors such as wire length, ambient temperature, and insulation type.

4. Is 14 AWG copper wire suitable for outdoor use?

Yes, 14 AWG copper wire is suitable for outdoor use as long as it is properly rated for the specific outdoor environment and conditions.

5. Can I use a thicker gauge wire for my circuit to handle higher amperage?

It is generally not recommended to use a thicker gauge wire for a circuit that is designed for 14 AWG copper wire. This can cause issues with the circuit's resistance and potentially cause damage or overheating. It is best to consult with a professional or refer to the ampacity chart for guidance on selecting the appropriate wire gauge for your circuit.