Find Resonant Frequency of Spring-Mass-Dashpot System

In summary, the problem asks to find the resonant frequency of a spring-mass-dashpot system driven by a sinusoidal force. The resonant frequency is given by sqrt(k/m-b^2/(2*m^2)) for H>0. However, if H is negative or zero, there is no resonant frequency and the system will not naturally oscillate. Switching signs does not help in this case.
Poetria

Homework Statement

Consider the spring-mass-dashpot system driven by a sinusoidal force on the mass:

(mD2+bD+k)x=F where sin(omega*t)

Recall that for the unforced underdamped oscillator (b^2<4km, F=0), the value of the natural damped frequency omega_d=sqrt(k/m - b^2/(4m^2)
Find the resonant (angular) frequency omega_r.

That is, find the angular frequency at which the gain of the response attains its maximum.

(This resonant frequency will be in the form sqrt(H) for some expression H. Assume H>0)
----
f(omega)=(k-m*omega^2)^2+b^2*omega^2
f'(omega=-4*m*omega*(k-m*omega^2)+2*b^2*omega=0

I got this one right - sqrt(k/m-b^2/(2*m^2)) :)
---
Now I have a problem:
Finally, what happens if the expression H is negative or zero? Find the angular frequency omega at which the gain attains its maximum for the case when H is less or equal to 0.

Switching signs does not help. :(

----

Physics news on Phys.org
Poetria said:

Homework Statement

Consider the spring-mass-dashpot system driven by a sinusoidal force on the mass:

(mD2+bD+k)x=F where sin(omega*t)

Recall that for the unforced underdamped oscillator (b^2<4km, F=0), the value of the natural damped frequency omega_d=sqrt(k/m - b^2/(4m^2)
Find the resonant (angular) frequency omega_r.

That is, find the angular frequency at which the gain of the response attains its maximum.

(This resonant frequency will be in the form sqrt(H) for some expression H. Assume H>0)
----
f(omega)=(k-m*omega^2)^2+b^2*omega^2
f'(omega=-4*m*omega*(k-m*omega^2)+2*b^2*omega=0

I got this one right - sqrt(k/m-b^2/(2*m^2)) :)
---
Now I have a problem:
Finally, what happens if the expression H is negative or zero? Find the angular frequency omega at which the gain attains its maximum for the case when H is less or equal to 0.

Switching signs does not help. :(

----
Your H is negative if b is big enough but that would mean that the damping is so big that the system won't have any resonant frecuency because there is no chance that it naturally oscilates( it means With F=0)

Likes Poetria
Diegor said:
Your H is negative if b is big enough but that would mean that the damping is so big that the system won't have any resonant frecuency because there is no chance that it naturally oscilates( it means With F=0)

Yes, I do know it but how to write the equation? I thought it would be sqrt(k/m-b^2/(4*m^2)) but it is wrong. :( If I assume that
-(k-m*omega^2)^2+b^2*omega^2) I get the same result through differentiation.

Ok. Many thanks. I got it. :)

1. What is a spring-mass-dashpot system?

A spring-mass-dashpot system is a mechanical system that consists of a mass connected to a spring and a dashpot (a device that provides resistance to motion). This system is commonly used to model the behavior of structures such as buildings, bridges, and car suspensions.

2. What is resonant frequency?

Resonant frequency is the frequency at which a system vibrates with the greatest amplitude. In the context of a spring-mass-dashpot system, it is the frequency at which the system oscillates with the greatest displacement.

3. How do you calculate the resonant frequency of a spring-mass-dashpot system?

The resonant frequency of a spring-mass-dashpot system can be calculated using the formula f = (1/2π)√(k/m), where f is the resonant frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the system.

4. How does the damping ratio affect the resonant frequency of a spring-mass-dashpot system?

The damping ratio, represented by the symbol ζ, is a measure of the amount of damping in the system. It affects the resonant frequency by decreasing it as the damping ratio increases. Higher damping ratios result in a lower resonant frequency and a more gradual decrease in amplitude over time.

5. Why is it important to find the resonant frequency of a spring-mass-dashpot system?

Knowing the resonant frequency of a system is important for engineers and scientists because it allows them to design and analyze structures to ensure they can withstand the forces and vibrations they will experience. It also helps to identify potential issues and weaknesses in the system that may need to be addressed.