Amusing Engineering Recruitment Poster

In summary, the conversation discusses a humorous poster found on a university webpage about engineering and the amusing caption that was created for it. The poster depicts a snowboarder and references the question of what engineers do, with a joke about taking into account the accelerating universe.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Maybe I have a quirky sense of humour, but I found the poster on this webpage (also attached here) to be hilarious:

http://www.engineering.ubc.ca/prospective_students/undergraduate/index.php
GvaLF.jpg

It's especially funny that it comes as an illustration on a webpage that essentially attempts to tackle the question, "What does an engineer do?" My friend came up with an amusing caption for it:

"When you're computing the trajectory of a snowboarder who's in the middle of an awesome jump, be sure to take into consideration the accelerating universe."

Maybe the good members of PF can do even better?

I know some people may need an explanation, but that would ruin the joke for those who don't. So I've hidden it:

The equation on the poster is the Einstein Field Equation from general relativity, which expresses the relationship between the curvature/geometry of spacetime, and its mass/energy content. This version includes Einstein's infamous "cosmological constant", whose presence is now used to explain the observed accelerated expansion of the universe. I do understand that the equation is central to theory the explains what gravity is, and that this poster is depicting a situation in which gravity is important. HOWEVER, I can assure that no engineer has ever had to deal with this equation in his career, or even his/her schooling for that matter (and I'm not trying to belittle engineers at all with that statement. It's just not too relevant for most of the physical systems they deal with). Therefore its presence on a webpage that is supposed to explain "what engineering deals with" is especially absurd. Not only that, but the actual subject matter of the poster is specially-designed crash pad for snowboarders, which makes it even more incongruous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice catch.

1. What is the purpose of the "Amusing Engineering Recruitment Poster"?

The purpose of the "Amusing Engineering Recruitment Poster" is to attract potential candidates to apply for engineering positions within a company or organization. The poster uses humor and creativity to catch the attention of viewers and showcase the exciting and fun aspects of working in the engineering field.

2. Who designed the "Amusing Engineering Recruitment Poster"?

The designer of the "Amusing Engineering Recruitment Poster" may vary depending on the company or organization using it. However, it is likely that a team of graphic designers and/or marketing professionals collaborated to create the poster, incorporating elements of humor and visual appeal to effectively communicate the message.

3. How effective is the "Amusing Engineering Recruitment Poster" in attracting candidates?

The effectiveness of the "Amusing Engineering Recruitment Poster" may vary depending on the target audience and the specific company or organization using it. However, in general, using humor and creativity in recruitment efforts can make a company stand out and attract a wider pool of candidates, including those who may not have initially considered a career in engineering.

4. Can the "Amusing Engineering Recruitment Poster" be used for other industries?

While the "Amusing Engineering Recruitment Poster" is specifically designed for the engineering field, the concept of using humor and creativity in recruitment efforts can be applied to other industries as well. However, the content and visuals of the poster should be tailored to the specific industry and target audience to be effective.

5. Is there any research to support the use of humor in recruitment efforts?

Yes, there are studies that suggest using humor can have a positive impact on recruitment efforts. Humor can make a company seem more approachable and appealing, and can also help attract a diverse range of candidates. However, it is important to use humor in a respectful and appropriate manner to avoid any potential negative effects.

Back