1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An equation related to the dimension of linear operator

1. Dec 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let V be a finite vector space, and A, B be any two linear operator. Prove that,
    rank A = rank B + dim(Im A [tex]\cap[/tex] Ker B)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since rank A = dim Im A
    dim(Im B)+ dim(Ker B)=dim V
    dim(Im A + Ker B)=dim(Im A)+dim(Ker B)-dim(Im A [tex]\cap[/tex] Ker B)
    It seems equivalent to prove that dim(Im A + Ker B)=dim V

it is obvious that Im A + Ker B [tex]\subseteq[/tex] V. So it should be true that V [tex]\subseteq[/tex] Im A + Ker B.

If I let Ker B=<e_1,...,e_k> and extend it to a basis of V=<e_1,..e_k, e_k+1,...e_n>. Choose any [tex]x=\sum^{n}_{i=1} x_{i}e_{i}=\sum^{k}_{i=1} x_{i}e_{i} + \sum^{n}_{i=k+1} x_{i}e_{i}[/tex]. The first term is in Ker B, the second is not in Ker B and therefore should be in Im A. This is what confuses me a lot since it is not necessary to be true IMO...

What's your idea? Where I made the mistakes? Can you give me any hint to prove it? Thanks very much
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are A and B arbitrary operators on V? If so this isn't true unless V={0}. For a counterexample, take A=0 and let B be any nonzero operator.
  4. Dec 2, 2008 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?