An evening(s) with Paul Dirac

• Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dirac
In summary, the conversation discusses the discovery of lost footage of physicist Paul Dirac giving lectures on quantum mechanics in 1975. The footage was recently found in a garage after being lost for 30 years. Despite its poor quality, it is a rare and valuable find as it captures Dirac discussing the history of quantum mechanics and his involvement in it. The conversation also mentions the original "theoretical minimum" written by physicist Landau.
DiracPool
Hello gang, I wanted to get these lectures to you earlier but I was "temporarily indisposed," or should I say, "temporarily disposed" from the site. I guess there's only room for one bad boy in the physics community...

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=bad-boy-of-physics

In any case, before there was the bad boy, before their was Binney, before their was Shankar, their was the original "theoretical minimum" by the man who invented it himself, my namesake Paul Dirac. These lectures were shot in New Zealand in 1975 and the "lost tapes" were recently found by some guy in his garage just a couple months ago after he thought he had lost them 30 years earlier!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwYs8tTLZ24

The quality is pretty bad but I have yet to find any live footage of Dirac where he talks much less gives 4 hour long lectures on the history of quantum mechanics and his part in it. Great rare vintage stuff. Enjoy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice find!

The original "theoretical minimum" was written by Landau though.

1. Who is Paul Dirac?

Paul Dirac was a British theoretical physicist who made significant contributions to the development of quantum mechanics and quantum electrodynamics. He is known for his work on the Dirac equation and the prediction of antimatter.

2. What is "An evening(s) with Paul Dirac"?

"An evening(s) with Paul Dirac" is a series of lectures or presentations dedicated to the life and work of Paul Dirac. It may include discussions on his scientific achievements, personal life, and impact on the field of physics.

3. Why is Paul Dirac considered an important figure in science?

Paul Dirac is considered an important figure in science because of his groundbreaking contributions to the field of quantum mechanics. His work on the Dirac equation and the prediction of antimatter revolutionized our understanding of the subatomic world and had a significant impact on the development of modern physics.

4. What is the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a mathematical equation developed by Paul Dirac that describes the behavior of fermions, such as electrons, in quantum mechanics. It is a relativistic extension of Schrödinger's wave equation and is used to accurately predict the behavior of particles at high speeds and in strong magnetic fields.

5. How did Paul Dirac's work on antimatter influence modern physics?

Paul Dirac's prediction of antimatter in 1928 led to the discovery of the positron, the first known antiparticle. This discovery confirmed the validity of Dirac's theory and opened up new possibilities for understanding the fundamental building blocks of the universe. Dirac's work on antimatter also played a crucial role in the development of quantum field theory, which is now the foundation of our understanding of particle physics.