An experiment in artificial intelligence

• Thread starter jhae2.718
  • Start date
jhae2.718
Gold Member
It's time to admit we haven't exactly been straightforwards with PFers. The user you know as jhae2.718 is not, in fact, a person at all, but rather an experiment in artificial intelligence that we have been running in our computer science department.

One of our PhD students wrote her dissertation on strong AIs that not only could pass the Turing Test, but could also demonstrate cognitive abilities most often seen in advanced primates. As a special case, simulating an engineering student was chosen to make passing the Turing Test an easier challenge, given that many engineering students themselves fail the test.

The resulting AI was registered on Physics Forums and was set up with the personailty of an aerospace engineering student. Meticulous notes were kept on human-AI interactions, and we're finally satisfied with the results. (A paper is forthcoming; we'll link to it on arXiv after it's published by IEEE.)

We apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused.

--A. Magnusson, PhD.
Dept. Of Computer Science and Electrical Engieering,
Loofrap University

Answers and Replies

Cool I only wish I was around to see it or should I say he or she post. :smile:

Excellent idea for an experiment by the way. Kudos.

Perhaps though what you no doubt already know you need you have to be convinced that it passed the test.

For example could it have logged into and registered with most forums that have questions like is the sky blue or what is 1+5 equal to in Roman numerals without help, without knowing all the answers to abstractions that can be made? bear with me...

I think the biggest problem is when it comes to social questions where opinion is valid. I find asking AIs questions like which bands do you prefer will yield a response but when you go into details as to why it becomes unconvincing because unlike a human being with experience you cannot predict all possibilities.

If someone says I love the Beatles and the AI responds "so do I!"

And you ask why, this leads to answers you cannot predict and the more you go on the harder it is to really convince anyone.

Isn't that a practical problem that the parameters of conversation are so large, that ultimately not enough people who ask socially sophisticated questions are going to be fooled by the answers?

You can't chose a group of social morons you have to be arbitrary.

That said the progress in this area is interesting but as yet I'm not sure Turing would be convinced by the results.

Inconvenienced any good scientist would be pleased despite the underhanded way you did it. Sod that. It had to be underhanded or it would not of worked as well. :smile:

Last edited:

It's time to admit we haven't exactly been straightforwards with PFers. The user you know as jhae2.718 is not, in fact, a person at all, but rather an experiment in artificial intelligence that we have been running in our computer science department.

One of our PhD students wrote her dissertation on strong AIs that not only could pass the Turing Test, but could also demonstrate cognitive abilities most often seen in advanced primates. As a special case, simulating an engineering student was chosen to make passing the Turing Test an easier challenge, given that many engineering students themselves fail the test.

The resulting AI was registered on Physics Forums and was set up with the personailty of an aerospace engineering student. Meticulous notes were kept on human-AI interactions, and we're finally satisfied with the results. (A paper is forthcoming; we'll link to it on arXiv after it's published by IEEE.)

--A. Magnusson, PhD.
Loofrap University
Should we see what you have to say post-April 1? :tongue:

Should we see what you have to say post-April 1? :tongue:
I never realised it was April 1st either, actually its post mid day on most every area on Earth so if it is an April fool the joke is on them.

You got me though. :biggrin:

I should probably have checked out the posts before I bought into it.

Loofrap April fool, how dumb am I. :biggrin:

Gotta love April the 1st I never realised it was until someone pointed it out. More fool me no white rabbits!

Still a good idea for an experiment though.

Hook line and sinker. :smile:

jhae2.718
Gold Member

You could also have figured out an anagram of the university name...
Loofrap --> Apr fool

I posted it 9 am Apr 1 my time.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Loofrap --> Apr fool
:rofl: nice one

Loofrap --> Apr fool
Yeah I edited. I should pay attention to the date more often.

My only excuse is I never even noticed it was April the 1st which is no excuse. :smile:

I wonder if the rules count for time zones? Meh who cares you got me. Holds hands up* :smile:

Hahaha :biggrin: Nice one!! You had me for 10 second until I remembered the date :smile:

Evo
Mentor

That was great jhae!!! :biggrin:

I think that Evo should ban you this sunday in chat for trying to fool us :smile:

jhae2.718
Gold Member

She can ban me at 6 pm when I'm listening to Stephen Hawking. :wink:

Evo
Mentor

Oh that's right, that's your big day!!

Micromass, we'll have to ban him when he least expects it. :tongue2:

wheeeeee.png

I'm impressed, someone fell for it.

Had me going until I thought about the date.

You lot still banning AE's?

Borek
Mentor

Interesting how many other April Fools still going on.

Loofrap --> Apr fool

I posted it 9 am Apr 1 my time.
Oh great, I got it, so not only is the AI program incredibly smart, in addition it has a great sense of humor. :approve:

Um...

:confused:

Ohhhh...

:blushing:

Aaaarch...

:biggrin:

Though a joke, it makes you wonder...The things you wouldn't even notice in your everyday life...How many of them are an...experiment?

jhae2.718
Gold Member

Though a joke, it makes you wonder...The things you wouldn't even notice in your everyday life...How many of them are an...experiment?
We'd best not tell you the truth...:biggrin:

When I saw the title and you as the op I wondered why, but when I read the initial post lolol AI isn't that good :p

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

High five, jhae2.718!

jhae2.718
Gold Member

It's amazing what you can come up with when you're 20 minutes early to a 9am physics lecture...

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

--A. Magnusson, PhD.
Loofrap University
I am a robot. A robot am I.

I'm impressed, someone fell for it.

Had me going until I thought about the date.

You lot still banning AE's?
Well that's just it I had no idea it was the 1st of April or I would of twigged. :tongue:

I'm generally pretty suspicious of a lot on that day for pragmatic reasons. This year I missed the bus. :smile:

I blame it on being unemployed, every days the weekend the date becomes superfluous on most days. :smile: