An idea I can't find anywhere Help me figure this out please

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time dilation and the impossibility of reaching the speed of light. The participants also consider the idea of slowing an object down to a complete stop, and the effects this would have on time and the surrounding universe. They also mention the potential use of wormholes for efficient long-distance travel. However, they conclude that these theories are still largely unknown and require further research.
SeaJay
Everything we witness and see is moving. All the things on this planet are spinning around at 25,000 miles a day while rotating around the sun while the sun pulls us on it's own course. Have we actually ever seen anything that was sitting still?

As you approach the speed of light time slows down. So with that logic as you approach a dead stop ( I mean a real stop - Not like sitting a traffic light stop, but an object in space being forced down to the speed of nothing) it would make sense that time would speed up.

If we made a small craft that would take itself down to a dead stop in space would time speed up to the point that it would watch the the earht and solar system just spin away or would the object having loss its movement and by this possibly its energy at a lower and lower level (As I have not found anything related to this anywhere I have looked I am making a few assumptions here - I am by all means looking for insight) would the item...

A - have time speed up to the point the item degrades and crumbles.

B - just end up disappearing completely?

C - ??

Just looking for a little more insight to what would happen to such an item, I am under the idea that the item would, at the stop point, cease to exist.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first of all, speed of light is impossible to reach, that prevents you from really experiencing that "dead stop" (just like God's face cannot be seen that prevents you from knowing what God is like).

Supposing that you reaches 99.9% of speed of light, I guess you will not feel any differnt, but just observing that things arround you are proceeding enormously fast, but light is still traveling way faster than you (that's the point which time of your reference frame has to be dialated).

At the singular point, like the black hole. In theory, you would experience the same thing according to the General theory of relativity. But actually as you are approaching that speed, time arround is flowing appraoching infinitively fast, e.g. seeing Earth going arround the sun for two hundred times in fraction of a second, but you will never finally reach that point!

I understand I had left out the part regarding the observers pov. I can understand the power that would be required to push a ship to the speed of light would be tremendous, but wouldn't it take a lot less energy to slow you down to a stop? You feel that like the speed of light something would keep you from getting to that point of no movement at all? the idea of the Earth spinning around the sun at 200 times a second is along the lines of what I was thinking but at the same time it would whip away as the sun took it with it Would slowing a ship down to let the universe pass by be a more energy effecient means of far range travel - IT would be limited in what was coming your way but that would allow us to travel great distances once down to that speed, wouldn't it?

SeaJay said:
As you approach the speed of light time slows down. So with that logic as you approach a dead stop ( I mean a real stop - Not like sitting a traffic light stop, but an object in space being forced down to the speed of nothing) it would make sense that time would speed up.
There is no such thing as "dead stop". An object's speed can only be measured relative to another object. When we say that a car is traveling 50 mph, we mean that it is traveling 50 mph relative to the surface of Earth. Likewise, a spacecraft can only measure its speed relative to Earth, the Sun, or some other object.
SeaJay said:
Everything we witness and see is moving.
Relative to other objects. From the Sun's perspective, Earth orbits around it. From Earth's perspective, the Sun moves around it.
SeaJay said:
Have we actually ever seen anything that was sitting still?
You can't "slow down to a stop".
It's like asking "What's 1/0?".

Maybe someone else here can explain it better.

I recommend reading up on Relativity.

Last edited:
I can't understand what is meant by "slowing a ship down to let the universe pass by". The idea of never reaching the speed of light is that it's not requiring "large amount of energy", but infinite amount of energy. At that point, mass of the ship is so huge that you cannot accelerate it any longer.

I think if you are talking about energy efficient method of distant travel, using the worm hole is a better idea (t least to science friction directors). Reaching the singular point will grant you almost infinite amount of gravatational potential energy and extremely dialated time (here I'm talking about space-time curvature), but aparently surviving the G field is a problem, and escaping it is another (probably the white hole, but it is yet to be discovered).

FtlIsAwesome said:
There is no such thing as "dead stop". An object's speed can only be measured relative to another object. When we say that a car is traveling 50 mph, we mean that it is traveling 50 mph relative to the surface of Earth. Likewise, a spacecraft can only measure its speed relative to Earth, the Sun, or some other object.

----- Point made on my inability to ask the question correctly.

Relative to other objects. From the Sun's perspective, Earth orbits around it. From Earth's perspective, the Sun moves around it.

------ And the sun spins around the galaxy, I am aware of that. I am speaking of taking an object down to a stop in relation to the galaxy around it. Whereas all other object would be still moving along the paths we have noticed they are on but this object you cause to fight that movement.

You can't "slow down to a stop".
It's like asking "What's 1/0?".

----- I asked for insight - not insults. Thank you.

Maybe someone else here can explain it better.

I recommend reading up on Relativity.

------ I will look more into it. I knew about the limits of matter moving in relation to the speed of light, but I had not read anything about the oppisite of movement. Thanks for your reply...

Except for angular momentum, everything is at rest with respect to itself. Time, I believe, is merely a concept we use to measure motion with respect to other frames of reference. If everything in the universe were not moving with respect to anything else, time would not exist.

FAQ: An idea I can't find anywhere Help me figure this out please

1. What is the best approach to finding an original idea?

The best approach to finding an original idea is to start by brainstorming and writing down any and all ideas that come to mind. Then, research existing ideas and try to find a unique angle or perspective that hasn't been explored yet. Collaborating with others and seeking feedback can also help generate new ideas.

2. How can I determine if my idea is truly original?

To determine if your idea is truly original, you can conduct a thorough search and review of existing literature, patents, and products. You can also seek the opinion of experts in your field and conduct surveys or focus groups to gather feedback on your idea.

3. What should I do if I can't find any existing information or resources on my idea?

If you can't find any existing information or resources on your idea, it may be a sign that your idea is truly original. However, it's still important to conduct thorough research and consult with experts to ensure that your idea is not too similar to existing ideas or products.

4. How can I develop my idea into a viable solution or product?

To develop your idea into a viable solution or product, you can start by creating a plan and setting specific goals and timelines. You can also seek out resources and support, such as funding, mentorship, and professional expertise, to help bring your idea to life.

5. How can I protect my original idea from being stolen or copied?

To protect your original idea from being stolen or copied, you can consider obtaining a patent, trademark, or copyright for your idea. You can also take precautions to keep your idea confidential and only share it with trusted individuals or organizations. It's also important to document your idea and any progress or improvements made along the way.