Please help me figure out what this graph is called

In summary, the graph in question is a hyperbola that represents the relationship between gravitational potential energy and distance from the center of the earth. The horizontal dotted lines represent kinetic energy and the position on the graph represents potential energy. It can also be referred to as a "graph of gravitational potential energy against distance".
Tommy1995
Please help me figure out what this graph is called!

My teacher made us copy down this graph which represents both the kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy of an mass due to its its distance away from the centre of the earth. The graph takes the form of a gravitational potential energy graph with the reference point at infinity.

He never told us what the graph was called and now I'm finding difficulty understanding how it works, could someone please tell me what the graph is called so i could research about it... If you could also explain it that would be awesome haha.

Physics news on Phys.org

Where is the graph?

Tommy1995 said:
My teacher made us copy down this graph which represents both the kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy of an mass due to its its distance away from the centre of the earth. The graph takes the form of a gravitational potential energy graph with the reference point at infinity.

He never told us what the graph was called and now I'm finding difficulty understanding how it works, could someone please tell me what the graph is called so i could research about it... If you could also explain it that would be awesome haha.

Based on the rather minimal amount of information, I think you are trying to describe the graph of [itex]U_g = \displaystyle \int_{r}^{\infty} F_g \ dr = \int_{r}^{\infty} G\frac{m_1 m_2}{r^2} \ dr = -G\frac{m_1m_2}{r}[/itex]. This is a hyperbola reflected over the r axis. If you want the equation for the kinetic energy, just multiply the equation for gravitational potential energy by -1.

SOrry about the lack of information, i finally got it photoscanned, check out the attachment, the graph is down at the bottom of the page.. The horizontal dotted lines are meant to represent the kinetic energy i think and the position of the value on the function represents the potential energy.

please help!

Attachments

• IMG (2).jpg
    IMG (2).jpg
    23 KB · Views: 416

Tommy1995 said:
SOrry about the lack of information, i finally got it photoscanned, check out the attachment, the graph is down at the bottom of the page.. The horizontal dotted lines are meant to represent the kinetic energy i think and the position of the value on the function represents the potential energy.

please help!

As I predicted, the graph you have shown is a hyperbola describing the relation between distance and gravitational potential energy. If you want the value of the kinetic energy for part of that graph, just flip the graph over the r axis (horizontal axis).

! LOL, by the R axis do you mean the x axis?

But yea i flipped it over the x-axis and i by finding the value of a point along the horizontal axis i got a nice representation of the kinetic energy as the distance away from the central mass is increased or decreased so thanks for clearing that up!

Btw, would you have any clue what the name of this kind of graph is called? not the function but the name haha :P

I have no idea what you mean by the "name of this kind of graph". You have already been told that is is a hyperbola (strictly speaking it is one branch of a hyperbola). You could also call it a "graph of gravitational potential energy against distance".

1. What is a graph?

A graph is a visual representation of data that uses lines, bars, or other symbols to show how different variables are related to each other.

2. How do I read a graph?

To read a graph, first look at the title and labels to understand what information is being presented. Then, follow the lines or bars to see how the variables are related to each other. Finally, interpret the data and draw conclusions based on the patterns shown in the graph.

3. What are the different types of graphs?

There are several types of graphs, including line graphs, bar graphs, pie charts, scatter plots, and histograms. Each type is used to display different types of data and relationships between variables.

4. How do I choose the right type of graph for my data?

The type of graph you choose depends on the type of data you have and the relationship you want to show. For example, line graphs are best for showing trends over time, while bar graphs are useful for comparing different categories of data. Consider the purpose of your graph and the type of data you have before choosing a type.

5. What is the purpose of a graph?

The purpose of a graph is to visually represent data in a way that is easy to understand and interpret. Graphs can help identify patterns, trends, and relationships between variables, making it easier to draw conclusions and make decisions based on the data.