1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An integral inequality: Source?

1. Mar 20, 2005 #1
    I know this is probably a gross generalization of what the actual inequality states, but I'm wondering if someone can tell me the origin of this integral inequality (or something resembling it :/ ):

[tex]|\int f(x)| \leq \int|f(x)|[/tex]

This is my first time using latex, so I hoped that turned out ok. Any suggestions on that too would be appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2005 #2
    I don't understand your question...

the left side just takes the absolute value of the area under f(x), which could well be negative. As for the right side, it will count a negative f(x) as positive... if it's applied to a velocity function, it would give the total distance travelled rather than displacement for example.

4. Mar 20, 2005 #3
    [tex]|\int f(x)| \leq \int|f(x)|[/tex]

This is not a terribly interesting equality, I am sure that you could form a proof. I can only guess that you are trying to discuss the cauchy-schwarz inequality:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SchwarzsInequality.html

Which is reasonably famous but very uninteresting.

5. Mar 20, 2005 #4
    It's just an application of the triangle inequality.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?