An interesting inequality-question on the proof

In summary: So, the AM-GM inequality is a special case of the convex inequality.In summary, the AM-GM inequality states that for any positive real numbers a_1, a_2, ..., a_n, the n-th root of their product is always less than or equal to their arithmetic mean. This can be proved by induction, starting with the base case of n=2 and then showing that if it is true for n=2^m, it is also true for n=2^{m+1}. The proof follows the ideas of Cauchy's inductive proof and also makes use of the inequality \exp(x)\geq 1+x.
jeffreydk
An interesting inequality--question on the proof...

I am working on the following proof and have gotten about half way;

If [tex]a_1, a_2, \ldots , a_n[/tex] are positive real numbers then

[tex] \sqrt[n]{a_1 \cdots a_n} \leq \frac{a_1+a_2+\ldots +a_n}{n}[/tex]

By induction, I started by showing it for n=2, which goes as follows.

We must show that [tex]\sqrt{a_1 a_2} \leq \frac{a_1+a_2}{2}[/tex]. So consider some s, a positive real number. If

[tex]\sqrt{a_1 a_2} \leq s \Rightarrow \sqrt{a_1 a_2} \leq \frac{\sqrt{a_1a_2}+s}{2} \leq s[/tex]

And since [tex]\sqrt{a_1a_2}<a_1+a_2-\sqrt{a_1a_2}[/tex], just let that equal s. Then it follows that,

[tex]\sqrt{a_1a_2} \leq \frac{\sqrt{a_1a_2}+a_1+a_2-\sqrt{a_1a_2}}{2}[/tex]

Where after simplification we have shown that [tex]\sqrt{a_1 a_2} \leq \frac{a_1+a_2}{2}[/tex] or in other words it is true for n=2.

Now for the next part of the proof, I think we must show that if it is true for [tex]n=2^m[/tex] then it is also true for [tex]n=2^{m+1}[/tex]. And then we must also show it if [tex]2^m < n < 2^{m+1}[/tex], but this is where I am stumped. Sorry for the choppiness in my explanation. Thanks for any assistance, I appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org

Eh, well the n = 2 case could be proved in an easier way just be multiplying both side by 2, squaring, rearranging, and factoring. It follows from the trivial inequality [tex]x^2 \geq 0[/tex]

As for the induction, I'm not sure why you use n = 2^m since it works for any natural number n. Anyways AM-GM is not easy to prove by induction since you have to apply an algorithm that is also used in a proof without induction.

snipez90 said:
As for the induction, I'm not sure why you use n = 2^m since it works for any natural number n. Anyways AM-GM is not easy to prove by induction since you have to apply an algorithm that is also used in a proof without induction.
Actually, one of the classical proofs of the AM-GM inequality is an inductive one. The proof is due to Cauchy, and it follows the main ideas in the OP, i.e. inducting on powers of 2.

There was a thread on this sometime back, here is the link. Check it out and post back if you need further help.

Oh alright, I didn't realize this was such a famous proof (Cauchy). Thanks for alerting me to that reference.

It can also be derived from the inequality

[tex]\exp(x)\geq 1+x[/tex] (1)

This is trivial to prove. It follows from this that:

[tex]\left\langle\exp(X)\right\rangle = \exp\left(\left\langle X\right \rangle\right)\left\langle\exp\left(X - \left\langle X\right \rangle\right)\right\rangle[/tex]

Apply (1) to the last factor:

[tex]\left\langle\exp\left(X - \left\langle X\right \rangle\right)\right\rangle\geq \left\langle 1 + X - \left\langle X\right \rangle\right\rangle = 1[/tex]

So, we have:

[tex]\left\langle\exp(X)\right\rangle \geq \exp\left(\left\langle X\right \rangle\right)[/tex] (2)

This is a special case of the convex inequality and the AM-GM inequality is a straightforward consequence of that inequality. But the convex inequality requires a bit more work to prove. The AM-GM inequality follows from (2) by taking X to be the logarithms of the a_i. The average on the l.h.s. is then the arithmetic mean, while on the r.h.s. you get the geometric mean.

1. What is the inequality-question on the proof about?

The inequality-question on the proof is about finding the relationship between two quantities, where one is greater than or equal to the other. It is a mathematical concept used to analyze and compare different values.

2. How is the inequality-question on the proof solved?

The inequality-question on the proof is solved by using algebraic manipulation and properties of inequalities, such as adding or multiplying both sides by the same value. It may also involve using known mathematical theorems or techniques specific to the type of inequality being solved.

3. What are some common types of inequalities used in this question?

Some common types of inequalities used in this question may include linear inequalities, quadratic inequalities, and logarithmic inequalities. Other types such as absolute value inequalities and rational inequalities may also be used depending on the specific problem.

4. Why is the proof of the inequality-question important?

The proof of the inequality-question is important because it allows us to understand and justify the relationship between two quantities. It provides a rigorous and logical explanation for the inequality and can be used to make further conclusions or predictions about the values being compared.

5. What are some real-world applications of the inequality-question?

The inequality-question has many real-world applications, such as in economics, physics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to analyze the supply and demand of goods, optimize production processes, and determine the stability of a structure. It is also used in data analysis and statistics to compare different sets of data and make predictions based on their relationship.