How to Prove this Interesting Integral Equation?

In summary, the integral \int^1_0 \frac{dx}{\sqrt[3]{x^2-x^3}} can be proven to be equal to \frac{2\pi }{\sqrt{3}} using contour integration. This can be done by transforming the integral to a key-hole contour and using the Beta function and complement formula. The final result is \text{P.V}\int^{\infty}_{0} \frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{x}(x+1)}\, dx = \frac{2\pi }{\sqrt{3}}.
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
Prove that

\(\displaystyle \int^1_0 \frac{dx}{\sqrt[3]{x^2-x^3}} = \frac{2\pi }{\sqrt{3}}\)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hint: Use the Beta function and the complement formula

$$\int_0^1\frac{dx}{\sqrt[3]{x^2-x^3}}=\int_0^1x^{-2/3}(1-x)^{-1/3}dx=B\left(\frac{1}{3},\frac{2}{3}\right)= \frac{\Gamma\left( \frac{1}{3}\right)\Gamma\left(\frac{2}{3}\right)}{\Gamma\left(\frac{1}{3}+\frac{2}{3}\right)}=\frac{\pi\;/\sin (\pi/3)}{1}=\frac{2\pi}{\sqrt{3}}$$

Yep , still there is another way . Possibly more complicated .

It can be solved using contour integration . The approach is quite long I might post it later .

On the other hand we can transform to another contour integration using a substitution .

\(\displaystyle t = \frac{1}{x}-1 \,\,\, dt = - \frac{1}{x^2}dx\)

\(\displaystyle \int^{\infty}_0 \frac{dt}{ \sqrt[3]{t}(t+1)}\)

we can use the following function to integrate

\(\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{e^{\frac{-1}{3}\text{Log}_0(z)}}{z+1}\)

Notice we are choosing a branch cut along the positive x-axis .

We will use a key-hole contour as indicated in the picture .

View attachment 909

\(\displaystyle \oint_{\Gamma_2} f(z) \, dz +\oint_{\Gamma_4} f(z) \, dz+ \int_{\Gamma_3} f(z) \, dz + \int_{\Gamma_1} f(z) \, dz = 2\pi i \text{Res}(f(z) ; -1) \)

Integration along the big circle :

\(\displaystyle \oint_{\Gamma_2}\frac{e^{\frac{-1}{3}\text{Log}_0(z)}}{z+1}\, dz \)

We will use the following paramaterization \(\displaystyle z = Re^{it}\,\,\, 0< t < 2\pi \)

\(\displaystyle iR\int_{0}^{2\pi }\frac{e^{it}\, e^{\frac{-1}{3}\text{Log}_{0}(Re^{it})}}{Re^{it}+1}\, dt \leq 2 \pi \frac{R^{1-\frac{1}{3}}}{R-1} \)

Now take $R$ to be arbitrarily large

\(\displaystyle \lim_{R \to \infty}2 \pi \frac{R^{\frac{2}{3}}}{R-1} = 0 \)

Similarity the integration along the smaller circle goes to $0$ as \(\displaystyle r \to 0\) .

Integration along the x-axis :

\(\displaystyle \text{P.V} \int^{\infty}_{0} \frac{e^{\frac{-1}{3}\text{Log}_0(z)}}{z+1}\, dz \)

Along the positive x-axis we get the following

\(\displaystyle \text{P.V} \int^{\infty}_{0} \frac{e^{\frac{-1}{3}\ln(x)}}{x+1}\, dx\)

For the other integral on the opposite direction

\(\displaystyle \text{P.V} \int^{0}_{\infty} \frac{e^{\frac{-1}{3}(\ln(x)+2\pi i)}}{x+1}\, dx\)

The residue at \(\displaystyle -1\)

Since we have a simple pole

\(\displaystyle \text{Res}(f;-1)= e^{-\frac{1}{3}\text{Log}_0(-1)} = e^{-\frac{\pi}{3} i} \)

Final step

\(\displaystyle \text{P.V}(1-e^{-\frac{2\pi}{3} i } )\int^{\infty}_{0} \frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{x}(x+1)}\, dx = 2\pi i e^{-\frac{\pi}{3} i} \)

\(\displaystyle \text{P.V}\int^{\infty}_{0} \frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{x}(x+1)}\, dx = 2\pi i \frac{e^{-\frac{\pi}{3} i}}{1-e^{-\frac{2\pi}{3} i } } \)

We can easily prove that \(\displaystyle 2\pi i \frac{e^{-\frac{\pi}{3} i}}{1-e^{-\frac{2\pi}{3} i } }=\frac{\pi }{\sin \left( \frac{\pi}{3}\right)}=\frac{2\pi }{\sqrt{3}}\)

Hence the result

\(\displaystyle \text{P.V}\int^{\infty}_{0} \frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{x}(x+1)}\, dx = \frac{2\pi }{\sqrt{3}} \)

We can easily prove that the integral converges hence the principle value is equal to the integral \(\displaystyle \square\) .

Attachments

• key hole.jpg
    key hole.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 49

This is a fascinating integral that involves a rational function with a fractional exponent. To prove the given statement, we can use the substitution u = x^2, which transforms the integral into:

\int^1_0 \frac{dx}{\sqrt[3]{x^2-x^3}} = \int^1_0 \frac{du}{2\sqrt[3]{u-u^2}}

Next, we can use the substitution v = u - \frac{1}{2} to simplify the integrand:

\int^1_0 \frac{du}{2\sqrt[3]{u-u^2}} = \int^{\frac{1}{2}}_{-\frac{1}{2}} \frac{dv}{\sqrt[3]{v(1-v)}}

Using the trigonometric substitution v = \sin^2\theta, we can further simplify the integral to:

\int^{\frac{1}{2}}_{-\frac{1}{2}} \frac{dv}{\sqrt[3]{v(1-v)}} = \int^{\frac{\pi}{6}}_{-\frac{\pi}{6}} \frac{2\sin\theta \cos\theta d\theta}{\sqrt[3]{\sin^2\theta \cos^2\theta}} = \int^{\frac{\pi}{6}}_{-\frac{\pi}{6}} 2\sqrt[3]{\cot^2\theta \csc^2\theta} d\theta

Next, we can use the identity \cot^2\theta = \csc^2\theta - 1 to simplify the integrand:

\int^{\frac{\pi}{6}}_{-\frac{\pi}{6}} 2\sqrt[3]{\cot^2\theta \csc^2\theta} d\theta = \int^{\frac{\pi}{6}}_{-\frac{\pi}{6}} 2\sqrt[3]{\csc^2\theta(\csc^2\theta - 1)} d\theta

Using the substitution w = \csc\theta, we can further simplify the integral to:

\int^{\frac{\pi}{6}}_{-\frac{\pi}{6}} 2\sqrt[3]{\csc^2\theta(\csc^2\theta - 1

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is also known as the anti-derivative of a function.

2. Why is an interesting integral important?

An interesting integral is important because it allows us to solve real-world problems by finding the area under a curve. It also has many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

3. How do you solve an interesting integral?

To solve an interesting integral, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. It also requires knowledge of basic calculus and algebraic manipulation.

4. Can an interesting integral have multiple solutions?

Yes, an interesting integral can have multiple solutions. This is because there can be different ways to represent the same area under a curve, and different integration techniques can lead to different solutions.

5. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral does not have limits and gives a general formula. Definite integrals are used to find exact areas, while indefinite integrals are used to find anti-derivatives.