An object falls a distance s given as s=16t^2. find instanteneous rat

• Thread starter TitoSmooth
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the distance an object falls, which is given by the equation s=16t^2. The question asks for the change in distance between t=3 and t=5, the average rate of change of distance compared to time, and the average speed in that time interval. The conversation also clarifies that the question does not ask for instantaneous speed, but rather average speed.
TitoSmooth
An object falls a distance s given as s=16t^2.

WHAT is the change of in distance, pr distance travelled, from t=3 and t=5?
What is the average rate of change of distance compared to time inthat time interval?
What is the average speed in that time interval?

Please help. I did values between t=4 and t=4.1 and instantaneous speed was approaching 128.
That was the example in the book.

Yet when i tried to do values between 3 and 3.1. my answer is way off. WHat is the problem asking me for?

ie when t=3; s=16x9=144
when t=3.1; s=16x9.61=153.76 then, 153.76-144=9.76/.1= 97.6

what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TitoSmooth! :smile:
TitoSmooth said:
… Yet when i tried to do values between 3 and 3.1. my answer is way off. WHat is the problem asking me for?

You're only doing the speed at 3.

The question doesn't ask for that, it asks for the average for the whole time between 3 and 5. :wink:

TitoSmooth said:
An object falls a distance s given as s=16t^2.
WHAT is the change of in distance, pr distance travelled, from t=3 and t=5?
How far had it fallen between t=0 and t= 3? How far had it fallen between t= 0 and t= 5?
So how far did it fall between t= 3 and

What is the average rate of change of distance compared to time inthat time interval?
Average rate of change is distance traveled divided by time

What is the average speed in that time interval?
"Speed" is "rate of change of distance"!

Please help. I did values between t=4 and t=4.1 and instantaneous speed was approaching 128.
That was the example in the book.
This problem does not ask for instantaneous speed. It asks for average speed.

Yet when i tried to do values between 3 and 3.1. my answer is way off. WHat is the problem asking me for?

ie when t=3; s=16x9=144
when t=3.1; s=16x9.61=153.76 then, 153.76-144=9.76/.1= 97.6

what am I doing wrong?

What does the equation s=16t^2 represent?

The equation represents the distance (s) an object falls in a given time (t) under the influence of gravity, assuming no other forces are acting on the object.

What units are used for distance and time in this equation?

The equation uses meters (m) for distance and seconds (s) for time.

What does the value 16 represent in the equation?

The value 16 is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth, measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

How can this equation be used to find the instantaneous rate of fall?

The instantaneous rate of fall can be found by taking the derivative of the equation, which would result in the equation v=32t, where v represents velocity in meters per second (m/s).

What factors can affect the accuracy of this equation in real-world scenarios?

In real-world scenarios, factors such as air resistance, wind, and the shape and mass of the falling object can affect the accuracy of this equation. The equation assumes a vacuum and a point mass, which is not always the case in real-life situations.