An object that has direction but no magnitude?

In summary: Second that - however, we call a direction without a magnitude an "angle".Angles are a good way to indicate relative direction, but it's not the only way. Another way is to use vectors.
Mooky
A scalar has magnitude and no direction; a vector has both direction and magnitude. Is there a name for a physical or mathematical object with direction but no magnitude?

I guess a description of it could be something like

\lim_{\|v\|\to 0} \vec{v}

Science news on Phys.org
I don't think so. Mostly, when we want to ignore magnitude, we just make the vector a 'unit' vector, i.e. one of norm 1, so it picks up the magnitude of whatever is multiplying it. These vectors are used for indicating direction only.

As Nabeshin said, this is basically what a unit vector is. You can think of a unit vector as having only a direction since you need to multiply it by the scalar magnitude in order to get some physical meaning.

Second that - however, we call a direction without a magnitude an "angle".
Look at how spherical-polar coords are set up?

It's just not very useful.
The zero-length (r=0) polar vector can technically have any angle, but they all point to the same place: the origin.

Mooky said:
Is there a name for a physical or mathematical object with direction but no magnitude?

I guess a description of it could be something like

\lim_{\|v\|\to 0} \vec{v}

Another discription is: windvane

we call a direction without a magnitude an "angle".

Yes, in the 2D case. But, is there a generalization of the notion of angle to higher dimensions, say [itex]\mathbb{R}^9[/itex]?

I would think that in R9 it would still be an angle, since in 3d, we still have an angle that spans the three dimensions and can be broken down to 2-2d angles, this could keep happening, so in 4d, you could have an angle that breaks down to 3 2d angles? Thats my guess anyway

+1 to that: of course it is generalizable to more than 2D.

The angle between two nD vectors would be the inverse-cosine of their scalar product divided by the product of their magnitudes. The nD equivalent of saying "over thataway" and pointing.

It is often useful to represent the angular position in nD as a set of n-1 orthogonal angles, as in 3D spherical-polar coordinates. In the same way you can define n-1 unit angles on an n-ball.

The nD equivalent of saying "look to the left of that and a bit down from the other thing".

Nabeshin said:
I don't think so. Mostly, when we want to ignore magnitude, we just make the vector a 'unit' vector, i.e. one of norm 1, so it picks up the magnitude of whatever is multiplying it. These vectors are used for indicating direction only.

lbrieda said:
As Nabeshin said, this is basically what a unit vector is. You can think of a unit vector as having only a direction since you need to multiply it by the scalar magnitude in order to get some physical meaning.
But a unit vector does have a magnitude: it's 1.

Which is why we can use angles to indicate relative direction.

1. What is an object that has direction but no magnitude?

An object that has direction but no magnitude is known as a vector. Vectors are commonly represented as arrows, with the direction of the arrow indicating the direction of the vector and the length of the arrow representing the magnitude.

2. What are some common examples of vectors?

Some common examples of vectors include displacement, velocity, force, and acceleration. These physical quantities have both direction and magnitude and can be represented using vectors.

3. How are vectors different from scalars?

Vectors and scalars are two types of physical quantities. The main difference between them is that vectors have direction and magnitude, while scalars only have magnitude. For example, velocity is a vector quantity because it includes both speed and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity because it only has magnitude.

4. How are vectors represented mathematically?

In mathematics, vectors are commonly represented as an ordered list of numbers, with each number representing the magnitude of the vector in a specific direction. This is known as the vector's components. Vectors can also be represented using vector notation, with an arrow on top of the vector symbol indicating its direction.

5. What is the importance of vectors in science?

Vectors play a crucial role in understanding and describing physical phenomena in science. They are used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics, to represent and analyze quantities that have both direction and magnitude. Vectors also allow scientists to accurately predict and model the behavior of objects in motion and understand complex systems.