An odd question (relationship between derivative and primitive)

In summary, there are explicit formulas for finding the antiderivative of a function, such as the definite integral and differentiation by an operator. However, these formulas are not always useful as they involve "inverse problems" which are typically more difficult to solve than "direct problems". This can be seen in the example of elementary algebra, where finding the value of a function at a specific point is easier than solving for the variable in an equation involving the function.
Reedeegi
Is there an explicit formula for finding the antiderivative of a function? I was thinking that perhaps it would be the inverse function of the derivative, but I don't know what that would be off the top of my head.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are (with some restrictions), but they are not useful

one is the definite integral
F=∫f dx
another is differentiation can be effected by some opperator A
F=(A^-1)f

This is an example of the difference between "direct" and "inverse" methods.

We have a specific definition of the "derivative" of a function and so, can, theoretically, find the derivative of any given (differentiable) function directly from that definition. The anti-derivative of the function f, on the other hand, is only defined as "the function that has f as its derivative". The first is a "direct problem" since we are given a direct definition and formula, the second is an "inverse problem" since the anti-derivative is only defined as an inverse of the derivative. "Inverse problems" are typically much harder than "direct problems".

The same situation occurs in elementary algebra. If I define f(x)= x7- 3x5+ x4- 4x+ 5 and as "what is f(1)", that's easy: just set x= 1 and calculate: 1- 3+ 1- 4+ 5= 0, because I gave you the formula. If, instead, I ask you to solve the equation f(x)= 0, that is much harder- there is no general formula for solving such an equation. Having just calculated f(1)= 0 tells you that x= 1 is one solution, just as having learned that the derivative of x3 is 3x2 tells you that x3 is one anti-derivative of 3x2, but you still don't know if there are other solutions.

Related to An odd question (relationship between derivative and primitive)

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is essentially the slope of a tangent line to the graph of the function at that point.

What is a primitive?

A primitive, also known as an antiderivative, is the inverse operation of differentiation. It is a function that, when differentiated, produces the original function.

What is the relationship between derivatives and primitives?

The derivative and primitive are inversely related to each other. The derivative of a function is the slope of its graph, while the primitive of a function is the area under its graph. Therefore, the derivative and primitive are related by the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that differentiation and integration are inverse operations.

Why is the relationship between derivatives and primitives important?

The relationship between derivatives and primitives is important because it allows us to easily find the value of a function at a specific point, as well as the area under its graph. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many real-world applications, such as physics and engineering.

How can the relationship between derivatives and primitives be applied in real life?

The relationship between derivatives and primitives has many practical applications, such as in finding the velocity and acceleration of an object in physics, calculating the area under a curve in economics, and optimizing functions in engineering. It is also used in fields like statistics, finance, and computer science.