An odd trig identity, I WANT PROOF

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Wolframalpha to solve a trigonometric identity that the person had trouble proving themselves. The identity is csc(2x) - cot(2x) = tan(x), and the conversation includes a step-by-step explanation on how to prove it using standard trig identities. The conversation also questions whether this topic falls under the realm of Calculus or not.
andrewdavis23
When I was checking my work, Wolframalpha took my trig work a step further with an identity that no one in my Calculus II class has ever seen, including my teacher.

csc(2x) - cot(2x) = tan(x)

I tried to prove the identity myself and I looked online, but no luck. Please, could someone prove this?

Physics news on Phys.org
We have

[tex]csc(2x)-cot(2x)=\frac{1}{2\sin(x)\cos(x)}-\frac{\cos^2(x)-\sin^2(x)}{2\sin(x)\cos(x)}[/tex]

Can you prove this?? Can you take it from there??

Just write this as [itex]\displaystyle\dfrac{ 1}{\sin\left(2\cdot x\right)} -\dfrac{\cos\left(2\cdot x\right)}{ \sin\left(2\cdot x\right)}=\dfrac{ \sin\left(x\right)}{\cos\left(x\right)}[/itex] while remembering that [itex]\sin^2\left(x\right)+\cos^2\left(x\right)=1[/itex]. Then apply the standard trig identities.

Oh, and, is this really calculus?

Whovian said:
Just write this as [itex]\displaystyle\dfrac{ 1}{\sin\left(2\cdot x\right)} -\dfrac{\cos\left(2\cdot x\right)}{ \sin\left(2\cdot x\right)}=\dfrac{ \sin\left(x\right)}{\cos\left(x\right)}[/itex] while remembering that [itex]\sin^2\left(x\right)+\cos^2\left(x\right)=1[/itex]. Then apply the standard trig identities.

Oh, and, is this really calculus?

This isn't really Calculus; however, you do have to know your trig identities with various questions.

1. What is the odd trig identity that needs proof?

The odd trig identity that often needs proof is sin(x)cos(y) - cos(x)sin(y) = sin(x - y).

2. Why is it important to prove this odd trig identity?

Proving this identity is important because it is a fundamental property of trigonometric functions and is useful in solving various trigonometric equations and simplifying expressions.

3. How can I prove this odd trig identity?

To prove this identity, you can use the trigonometric identities for sin(x-y) and cos(x-y), as well as the properties of even and odd functions. You can also use geometric proofs or mathematical induction.

4. Can you provide an example of a proof for this odd trig identity?

Yes, for example, we can use the trigonometric identities sin(x-y) = sin(x)cos(y) - cos(x)sin(y) and cos(x-y) = cos(x)cos(y) + sin(x)sin(y) to prove that sin(x)cos(y) - cos(x)sin(y) = sin(x - y). This can be seen by substituting x-y for x in the first identity and y for y in the second identity and then combining the two equations.

5. What is the significance of odd and even functions in proving this identity?

The significance of even and odd functions is that they allow us to simplify expressions and prove identities by using symmetry and properties that are true for only even or odd functions. In this case, the odd function property allows us to prove the odd trig identity by breaking it into simpler even and odd functions.