Trig identity problem embedded in chain-rule myopia

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding a trig identity that is related to a broader derivative problem. The identity states that the derivative of e^sin^2(x) is equal to e^sin^2(x) * 2sin(x)cos(x), which can also be written as e^sin^2(x) * sin(2x). The person is struggling with understanding how the substitution works in the derivation and is seeking help to better understand the concept. Different approaches, such as using logarithmic differentiation and the double angle identity for cos, are suggested to help with the problem.
DeusAbscondus
I'm having trouble understanding a trig identity and only include it here (rather than in trig forum) as it touches on a -broader- derivative problem.

Here it is:
$$\frac{d}{dx} \ e^{sin^2(x)}=e^{sin^2(x)}\cdot 2sin(x)cos(x)$$
$$=e^{sin^2(x)}\cdot \ sin(2x)$$

I have attached a proof of the derivation of sin^2(x) but I don't understand it, quite frankly. Especially "where u=sin(x)" I guess, because I've worked hard at internalizing the simple "truth"(?) that the brackets contain the "argument" which is being substituted by "u", but here, it is u=sin(x), then, following from that, $\frac{d}{dx} u^2=2u$, which i can accept if I first swallow $u=sin(x)$, but I can't, because I can't get over the hurdle of seeing $()$ as the cue for substituting with "u"

Edit: 22:55 GMT+10
** Does this get me any closer $$2u \cdot u'$$

Can anyone see my problem and lead me out of this quagmire so that I can proceed with the grunt work I need to do on the trig identities (remedial work, I know, but this is how I seem to be proceeding)

Sigh,
DeusAbs

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DeusAbscondus said:
I'm having trouble understanding a trig identity and only include it here (rather than in trig forum) as it touches on a -broader- derivative problem.

Here it is:
$$\frac{d}{dx} \ e^{sin^2(x)}=e^{sin^2(x)}\cdot 2sin(x)cos(x)$$
$$=e^{sin^2(x)}\cdot \ sin(2x)$$

I have attached a proof of the derivation of sin^2(x) but I don't understand it, quite frankly. Especially "where u=sin(x)" I guess, because I've worked hard at internalizing the simple "truth"(?) that the brackets contain the "argument" which is being substituted by "u", but here, it is u=sin(x), then, following from that, $\frac{d}{dx} u^2=2u$*, which i can accept if I first swallow $u=sin(x)$, but I can't, because I can't get over the hurdle of seeing $()$ as the cue for substituting with "u"

Edit: 22:55 GMT+10
** Does this get me any closer $$2u \cdot u'$$

Can anyone see my problem and lead me out of this quagmire so that I can proceed with the grunt work I need to do on the trig identities (remedial work, I know, but this is how I seem to be proceeding)

Sigh,
DeusAbs

edit: If you're using a pseudonym you might want to black out the name in the top right corner of the screenshot.

* Nitpicking I'm sure but you're finding $\frac{d}{du}$ instead of $\frac{d}{dx}$You can use any substitution you like really although you do need to take care when finding $\frac{du}{dx}$. To make this easier to see let $y = e^{\sin^2(x)}$ (which also brings in the possibility of logarithmic differentiation). In your case having du inside the sin function doesn't really help since you can't go anywhere with it

$y = e^{\sin^2(x)}$

If we let $ u = \sin^2(x)$ then we end up with $\dfrac{du}{dx} = 2\sin(x)\cos(x) \text{ and } y = e^u$

edit - removed an "a" from this expression

By the chain rule $\frac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{dy}{du} \cdot \frac{du}{dx}$

$\dfrac{dy}{dx} = e^u \cdot 2\sin(x)\cos(x) = e^{\sin^2(x)} \cdot 2\sin(x)\cos(x)$

=========================

It may be easier for you to solve this particular problem using logarithmic differentiation:
Let $y = e^{\sin^2(x)}\ \rightarrow \ \ln(y) = \sin^2(x) \ \rightarrow \ \frac{y'}{y} = 2\sin(x)\cos(x) \ \rightarrow \ y' = e^{\sin^2(x)} \cdot 2\cos(x)\sin(x)$

============================

Another way to look at it is to use the double angle identity for cos.
$\cos(2x) = 1-2\sin^2(x) \rightarrow \sin^2(x) = \frac{1}{2} - \frac{\cos(2x)}{2}$

$\dfrac{d}{dx}e^{\sin^2(x)} = \dfrac{d}{dx}e^{1/2 - \cos(2x)/2} $

Using the chain rule should hopefully be easier here without a squared term

$\dfrac{d}{dx}e^{1/2 - \cos(2x)/2} = e^{1/2 - \cos(2x)/2} \cdot \dfrac{d}{dx}- \cos(2x)/2 = e^{1/2 - \cos(2x)/2} \cdot \sin(2x)/2 \cdot 2 = e^{1/2 - \cos(2x)/2} \cdot \sin(2x)$

The value of the exponent is of course equal to sin^2(x) so feel free to back-sub
$e^{\sin^2(x)}\sin(2x)$

Last edited:
SuperSonic4 said:
edit: If you're using a pseudonym you might want to black out the name in the top right corner of the screenshot.

* Nitpicking I'm sure but you're finding $\frac{d}{du}$ instead of $\frac{d}{dx}$You can use any substitution you like really although you do need to take care when finding $\frac{du}{dx}$. To make this easier to see let $y = e^{\sin^2(x)}$ (which also brings in the possibility of logarithmic differentiation). In your case having du inside the sin function doesn't really help since you can't go anywhere with it

$y = e^{\sin^2(x)}$

If we let $ u = asin^2(x)$ then we end up with $\dfrac{du}{dx} = 2\sin(x)\cos(x) \text{ and } y = e^u$

By the chain rule $\frac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{dy}{du} \cdot \frac{du}{dx}$

$\dfrac{dy}{dx} = e^u \cdot 2\sin(x)\cos(x) = e^{\sin^2(x)} \cdot 2\sin(x)\cos(x)$

=========================

It may be easier for you to solve this particular problem using logarithmic differentiation:
Let $y = e^{\sin^2(x)}\ \rightarrow \ \ln(y) = \sin^2(x) \ \rightarrow \ \frac{y'}{y} = 2\sin(x)\cos(x) \ \rightarrow \ y' = e^{\sin^2(x)} \cdot 2\cos(x)\sin(x)$

============================

Another way to look at it is to use the double angle identity for cos.
$\cos(2x) = 1-2\sin^2(x) \rightarrow \sin^2(x) = \frac{1}{2} - \frac{\cos(2x)}{2}$

$\dfrac{d}{dx}e^{\sin^2(x)} = \dfrac{d}{dx}e^{1/2 - \cos(2x)/2} $

Using the chain rule should hopefully be easier here without a squared term

$\dfrac{d}{dx}e^{1/2 - \cos(2x)/2} = e^{1/2 - \cos(2x)/2} \cdot \dfrac{d}{dx}- \cos(2x)/2 = e^{1/2 - \cos(2x)/2} \cdot \sin(2x)/2 \cdot 2 = e^{1/2 - \cos(2x)/2} \cdot \sin(2x)$

The value of the exponent is of course equal to sin^2(x) so feel free to back-sub
$e^{\sin^2(x)}\sin(2x)$

Simply Super!, Super.
There is substance herein to keep me chewing down hard for days, on real meat for real budding mathematicians! (Nerd)

Related to Trig identity problem embedded in chain-rule myopia

1. What is a trig identity problem?

A trig identity problem is a mathematical equation involving trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent, where the goal is to simplify or prove the equality of the expressions on each side of the equation.

2. What is chain-rule myopia in relation to trig identity problems?

Chain-rule myopia refers to a common mistake made when using the chain rule to solve a trig identity problem. It occurs when the chain rule is applied incorrectly, resulting in an incorrect solution to the problem.

3. How can I avoid chain-rule myopia when solving trig identity problems?

To avoid chain-rule myopia, it is important to carefully review the steps when using the chain rule and ensure that each step is applied correctly. It is also helpful to practice solving various trig identity problems to become more familiar with the process.

4. Why are trig identity problems important in mathematics?

Trig identity problems are important in mathematics because they help to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They also have many real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering, where trigonometric functions are used to model and solve various problems.

5. What are some strategies for solving difficult trig identity problems?

Some strategies for solving difficult trig identity problems include breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps, using trig identities and properties to simplify the expressions, and carefully checking each step for errors. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of trigonometric functions and their properties.