Op-Amp Inverting Configuration: Does Load Resistor Change Gain Equation?

• Thread starter shaiqbashir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Op-amp
In summary, the equations for the gain in an inverting op amp configuration do not change when a load resistor is added. The equation for the loaded gain is -(R2/R1)*RL/(RL + Ro), where Ro is the output impedance and can be neglected for typical op amps. The loaded gain for the second circuit can be found using the formula for voltage division over two resistors in series. In both cases, assuming an ideal op amp, the gain can be derived using algebraic equations.
shaiqbashir
Hi Guys!

well!

im just a bit confused here.

i want to ask you a question:

just have a look at the fig below which i have posted. You can see a load resistor "RL". my question is that whenever i studied this inverting configuration of opAmp, there is no load resistor given for it. So, now when i have to find the equation of its gain , with a load resistor, do u think that it will change from the one without a load resistor. As i know that for the inverting configuration without any load resistor we have:

Vo/Vi = -R2/R1

now do u think that with the load resistor RL, this gain equation will change?

thanks in advance:

Attachments

• opamp.JPG
    opamp.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 514
Engineering news on Phys.org
The equation doesn't change. You can get this equation by wrighting a sum of currents on - connection. If you add a load resistor V0 doesn't change thus you can write Uy/R1+V0/R2 = 0 and you get the same equation.

-R2/R1 is the unloaded gain. When loading is taken into account the gain becomes -(R2/R1)*RL/(RL + Ro) where Ro is the output impedance. With a typical op amp, Ro is low by design and is commonly neglected. As long as RL is above 100 ohms or so, you may neglect loading (in my experience).

-(R2/R1)*RL/(RL + Ro)

i would appreciate if you will tell me how to get the above equation

because i have tried my level best but couldn't get the logic to get the above equation!

please...

Now please try this one

Now after that circuit, please try the below one, this one i gets into too much complication.

now i want to ask you again that does the gain equation will change for the following circuit with a load resistor than the one without load resistor.

if i have to find the close loop gain that is Vo/Vi if the open loop gain is:

1) infinite

2) 1000

now will the gain equation will vary?

please help me as soon as possible

thanks in advance

Attachments

• opamp_1.JPG
    opamp_1.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 478
shaiqbashir said:
-(R2/R1)*RL/(RL + Ro)

i would appreciate if you will tell me how to get the above equation

because i have tried my level best but couldn't get the logic to get the above equation!

please...

Use the formula for voltage division over two resistors in series:

V1 = V*R1/(R1 + R2)

So you must insure that the load impedance is large compared to the output impedance, for maximal voltage amplification.

shaiqbashir said:
Now after that circuit, please try the below one, this one i gets into too much complication.

now i want to ask you again that does the gain equation will change for the following circuit with a load resistor than the one without load resistor.

if i have to find the close loop gain that is Vo/Vi if the open loop gain is:

1) infinite

2) 1000

now will the gain equation will vary?

please help me as soon as possible

thanks in advance

This is a bit more complicated than your first example but can be solved in much the same way. It just involves a little more algebra. In your analysis you will be assuming an ideal op amp, i.e. infinite open loop gain and input impedance and zero output impedance. You should end up with a gain of:

-(R2*R3 + R2*R4 + R3*R4)/(R1*R4)

A typical op amp (such as the LM324) is usually a decent approximation of an ideal op amp. But an open-loop gain of 1000 is really low. I don't know if any actual op amp has such a low gain.

Again, the loaded gain depends on the output impedance (typically 50 - 3k ohms, and reduced by negative feedback).

My advice would be to simulate the circuit in pSpice or a similar program, or assemble it on a breadboard. Then you may tweak the design to get the desired results.

1. What is an Op-Amp inverting configuration?

An Op-Amp inverting configuration is a type of operational amplifier circuit where the input signal is connected to the inverting input terminal of the Op-Amp. The output signal is then fed back to the inverting input through a feedback resistor. This configuration is commonly used for amplification and filtering purposes.

2. How does the load resistor affect the gain equation in an Op-Amp inverting configuration?

The load resistor, also known as the feedback resistor, plays a crucial role in determining the gain of an Op-Amp inverting configuration. The gain equation is given by the ratio of the feedback resistor to the input resistor. Therefore, changing the value of the load resistor will result in a change in the gain of the circuit.

3. Can the load resistor be omitted in an Op-Amp inverting configuration?

No, the load resistor cannot be omitted in an Op-Amp inverting configuration. Without a feedback resistor, the Op-Amp will act as an open-loop amplifier, which will result in high gain and unstable operation. The load resistor is essential for providing stability and controlling the gain of the circuit.

4. How does the load resistor affect the frequency response of an Op-Amp inverting configuration?

The load resistor has a significant impact on the frequency response of an Op-Amp inverting configuration. A higher value load resistor will result in a lower bandwidth and slower response time, while a lower value load resistor will increase the bandwidth and improve the circuit's response time.

5. What are the factors to consider when choosing a load resistor for an Op-Amp inverting configuration?

The value of the load resistor must be carefully chosen to ensure the stability and proper functioning of the Op-Amp inverting configuration. Some of the factors to consider when choosing a load resistor include the desired gain, bandwidth, input impedance, and the maximum output voltage of the Op-Amp. Additionally, the load resistor should have a low temperature coefficient and be able to handle the required power without causing distortion.