Need some insight into an inverting op amp example

In summary, the conversation discusses a practice problem involving inverting op amps and the incorrect assumption made by the speaker in their first attempt at solving it. The speaker converted the current source to a voltage source with a series resistor, which resulted in an incorrect solution. The correct solution involves using basic assumptions of an ideal opamp and analyzing the problem using KCL equations. The speaker asks for help in understanding why their initial assumption was wrong and how to solve the problem without converting the current source.
kostoglotov
Currently working through a chapter on op amp circuits, fundamentals.

Came upon this practice problem in the section on inverting op amps

2DrQLXk.png

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/2DrQLXk.png

7KRKzKC.png

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/7KRKzKC.png

A working of this problem is not given. I got the correct answer the second time, by working through some KCL equations on a more fundamental level, but failed the first attempt based on what is evidently an incorrect assumption. But I don't fully understand why that assumption is wrong.

Before both solutions, I converted the current source to a voltage source in series with a resistor [itex]R_s[/itex] with the equation [itex]V_s = i_s R_s[/itex].

I've labeled the node between [itex]R_1[/itex], [itex]R_2[/itex], and [itex]R_3[/itex] as [itex]v_2[/itex]. [itex]v_1[/itex] is between [itex]R_s[/itex] and the inverting input to the op amp.

My second attempt combined

[tex]\frac{-v_s}{R_1} = \frac{v_2-v_0}{R_3} + \frac{v_2}{R_2} \\ \text{with} \ \ v_2 = -i_1 R_1 \\ \text{and} \ \ i_1 = i_s[/tex]

to obtain the correct proof.

My first wrong attempt made an assumption about calculating the equivalent resistance of [itex]R_1[/itex], [itex]R_2[/itex], and [itex]R_3[/itex], that goes like this:

-- you can think of [itex]R_1[/itex], [itex]R_2[/itex], and [itex]R_3[/itex] as being a "single resistance" as their combined configuration ("lump") takes [itex]v_0[/itex] to Ground (a zero Volt node). Because the node [itex]v_1[/itex] is (theoretically/ideally) at zero volts because it is short circuited to the common analog ground because we are considering an ideal op amp, and for an ideal op amp we can think of the op amps input terminals as being a short circuit when doing voltage calculations (and as an open circuit when doing current calculations). The presence of the [itex]R_s[/itex] resistor connected to [itex]v_1[/itex] can be ignored, because it will not (ideally) change the fact that [itex]v_1[/itex] is (ideally) always 0V.

So, using this assumption, [itex]R_3[/itex] goes from [itex]v_0[/itex] into a two parallel resistors [itex]R_1[/itex], and [itex]R_2[/itex] which both (ideally) connect to the common analog ground node...soo

[tex]R_{eq} = R_3 + \frac{R_1 R_2}{R_1 + R_2}[/tex]

and

[tex]v_0 = \frac{-R_{eq}}{R_s} v_s = -R_{eq} i_s[/tex]

This of course does not work. In that it does not agree with the text or the also much more sound reasoning from just doing the KCL equations outlined initially.

What I don't understand really, is what's wrong with my reasoning in the assumption I constructed above, keeping in mind that this assumption would only work for ideal op amps (ie, [itex]v_1[/itex] is assumed as always being at 0V).

Engineering news on Phys.org
kostoglotov said:
Currently working through a chapter on op amp circuits, fundamentals.

Came upon this practice problem in the section on inverting op amps

2DrQLXk.png

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/2DrQLXk.png

7KRKzKC.png

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/7KRKzKC.png

A working of this problem is not given. I got the correct answer the second time, by working through some KCL equations on a more fundamental level, but failed the first attempt based on what is evidently an incorrect assumption. But I don't fully understand why that assumption is wrong.

Before both solutions, I converted the current source to a voltage source in series with a resistor [itex]R_s[/itex] with the equation [itex]V_s = i_s R_s[/itex].

I've labeled the node between [itex]R_1[/itex], [itex]R_2[/itex], and [itex]R_3[/itex] as [itex]v_2[/itex]. [itex]v_1[/itex] is between [itex]R_s[/itex] and the inverting input to the op amp.

My second attempt combined

[tex]\frac{-v_s}{R_1} = \frac{v_2-v_0}{R_3} + \frac{v_2}{R_2} \\ \text{with} \ \ v_2 = -i_1 R_1 \\ \text{and} \ \ i_1 = i_s[/tex]

to obtain the correct proof.

My first wrong attempt made an assumption about calculating the equivalent resistance of [itex]R_1[/itex], [itex]R_2[/itex], and [itex]R_3[/itex], that goes like this:

-- you can think of [itex]R_1[/itex], [itex]R_2[/itex], and [itex]R_3[/itex] as being a "single resistance" as their combined configuration ("lump") takes [itex]v_0[/itex] to Ground (a zero Volt node). Because the node [itex]v_1[/itex] is (theoretically/ideally) at zero volts because it is short circuited to the common analog ground because we are considering an ideal op amp, and for an ideal op amp we can think of the op amps input terminals as being a short circuit when doing voltage calculations (and as an open circuit when doing current calculations). The presence of the [itex]R_s[/itex] resistor connected to [itex]v_1[/itex] can be ignored, because it will not (ideally) change the fact that [itex]v_1[/itex] is (ideally) always 0V.

So, using this assumption, [itex]R_3[/itex] goes from [itex]v_0[/itex] into a two parallel resistors [itex]R_1[/itex], and [itex]R_2[/itex] which both (ideally) connect to the common analog ground node...soo

[tex]R_{eq} = R_3 + \frac{R_1 R_2}{R_1 + R_2}[/tex]

and

[tex]v_0 = \frac{-R_{eq}}{R_s} v_s = -R_{eq} i_s[/tex]

This of course does not work. In that it does not agree with the text or the also much more sound reasoning from just doing the KCL equations outlined initially.

What I don't understand really, is what's wrong with my reasoning in the assumption I constructed above, keeping in mind that this assumption would only work for ideal op amps (ie, [itex]v_1[/itex] is assumed as always being at 0V).
Why would you convert the current source to something else? The basic assumptions of an ideal opamp make this a straightforward problem with the input current source flowing through the resistors...

kostoglotov said:
what's wrong with my reasoning in the assumption I constructed above,
It incorrectly assumes that current through R3 is equal to Is ?

berkeman said:
Why would you convert the current source to something else? The basic assumptions of an ideal opamp make this a straightforward problem with the input current source flowing through the resistors...

Could you help me out there then? Because I can't see how to do it without converting to a voltage source with a series resistor.

I can see that the current divides to flow into R2 and R3 so

[tex]i_1 = i_s = i_2 + i_3[/tex]

and I can see that the current would divide like

[tex]i_2 = \frac{R_3}{R_2+R_3}(v_1-v_0) \\ \text{and} \ \ i_3 = \frac{R_2}{R_2+R_3}v_1[/tex]

and

[tex]v_1 = -i_s R_1[/tex]

because the node just before R_1 is at zero and the node v_1 is just after R1.

which can bring me to

[tex]i_s = \frac{(R_2+R_3)v_1 - R_3 v_0}{R_2 + R_3} = v_1 - \frac{R_3 v_0}{R_2 + R_3}[/tex]

giving

[tex]i_s = -i_s R_1 - \frac{R_3 v_0}{R_2 + R_3}[/tex]

then

[tex](1+ R_1)i_s = -\frac{R_3 v_0}{R_2 + R_3}[/tex]

giving

[tex]\frac{v_0}{i_s} = \frac{-(R_2+R_3)(1+R_1)}{R_3}[/tex]

I can't see how to do this without changing to a voltage source with a series resistor...I'd love to know though, an easier way would be much better.

kostoglotov said:
[tex]i_2 = \frac{R_3}{R_2+R_3}(v_1-v_0) \\ \text{and} \ \ i_3 = \frac{R_2}{R_2+R_3}v_1[/tex]
Are you sure that the result is in amps ??

Likes kostoglotov
EDIT

oops Jony got there before me, nicely done Sir !sanity check on assumptions and method

units okay ?

upload_2016-2-14_6-49-46.png

Likes kostoglotov
Jony130 said:
Are you sure that the result is in amps ??

Well, that was a dumb mistake :P Thanks :)

jim hardy said:
EDIT

oops Jony got there before me, nicely done Sir !sanity check on assumptions and method

units okay ?

View attachment 95817
Well, that was a dumb mistake :P Thanks :)

1. What is an inverting op amp?

An inverting op amp is a type of operational amplifier that amplifies the input signal while also inverting its polarity. This means that a positive input signal will result in a negative output signal, and vice versa.

2. Why is an inverting op amp useful?

An inverting op amp is useful because it can amplify small input signals to a larger output, making it ideal for signal processing and amplification in various electronic circuits. It also provides a stable and precise output, allowing for more accurate measurements.

3. How does an inverting op amp work?

An inverting op amp works by using a negative feedback loop, where a portion of the output signal is fed back into the input. This results in the op amp adjusting its output to maintain a stable and precise output voltage, as determined by the feedback resistor network.

4. What are the key components of an inverting op amp circuit?

The key components of an inverting op amp circuit include the op amp itself, a feedback resistor, an input resistor, and a power supply. Optional components may include a capacitor for stability and filtering, and a potentiometer for adjusting the gain.

5. Can you provide an example of an inverting op amp circuit?

Sure, a common example of an inverting op amp circuit is an inverting amplifier. It consists of an op amp, a feedback resistor, an input resistor, and a power supply. The input signal is connected to the inverting input of the op amp, while the feedback resistor is connected between the output and inverting input. The input resistor is connected between the inverting input and ground. This circuit amplifies the input signal by the ratio of the feedback resistor to the input resistor.