Analog zero-point synced AC PWM: is there a better way?

In summary, the 555 circuit controls the AC power to a heating element by switching it on and off at zero point. The period is set by the RC circuit on the 555.
Archie Medes
Hi,

Thinking of a circuit to control the AC power to a heating element. I wanted something fairly linear, and analog. I don't have anything against using a programmable controller, I just wanted to think of an analogue solution, seeing as I don't need to learn how to write a program.

The attached image shows the flow diagram and circuit sub-section schematics. It works in my simulator.

Just wondering if there is a better way to go about this? Switching on/off whole/half waves in a duty cycle?

Cheers,

Archie

*edit - that's a 555 IC in the pwm section

Attachments

• AC_PWM.jpg
    AC_PWM.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 737
Engineering news on Phys.org
You can get opto isolated drivers that are zero cross detecting (the first one I found on DigiKey: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/lite-on-inc/MOC3063S-TA1/160-1723-1-ND/670018). You want a driver in any case to shield you from high voltages.

Your circuit will be much simplified and you can set your PWM frequency to seconds or minutes depending on the thermal mass of the heater. You get less EMI too. Don't use the zero cross detectors on inductive devices (Motors, Transformers, etc.).

BoB

Thanks for your reply BoB, I will check out the drivers.

I can set PWM period with the pot and cap on the trigger/threshold input of the 555. 1 second with half-waves gives me 100 points of resolution at 50 Hz. Unless you mean that I can vary the period without altering the circuit, which would be great. That was the next part I was going to try to do.

I'm unsure of what you mean by a few things:

You want a driver in any case to shield you from high voltages.
Which part needs shielding from the high voltages, and what is the source of them?

You get less EMI too.
By lengthening the period? What kind of periods are troublesome for switching AC waves on/off at zero point?

Don't use the zero cross detectors on inductive devices (Motors, Transformers, etc.)
So, if I am taking 240VAC, inputting it to a magnetic transformer, which outputs a low voltage AC wave to be rectified into DC for the controller, then I shouldn't use a zero point crossing on the 240V signal? Or do you mean that I shouldn't zero-point detect on the stepped down AC signal, because it will be out of phase?

*edit, actually, you mean because the current will be out of step with the supply voltage on the load, right?

I understand AC motors need a variable frequency drive, something else I need to learn. This is purely for driving resistive heating elements

Last edited:
Archie Medes said:
I can vary the period without altering the circuit

The period is set by the RC circuit on the 555.

Archie Medes said:
Which part needs shielding from the high voltages, and what is the source of them?
The high voltage comes from the AC voltage you want to control. If the voltage you are controlling is referenced to logic ground you may be able to get away with no isolation. This puts your logic ground at neural voltage which may present a shock hazard in some instances. Triac optos will work. There are also purpose built triac drivers with various advanced features. In any case you need more than the NPN output of the 555 to properly drive the triac.

The EMI comes from switching at non-zero potentials. If you put proper filtering on the output it can be made an acceptable level. That is what standard triac dimmers will do. However eliminating it is better if that is an option.

The zero-cross in regards to the inductive loads is for the load. That does not apply to a transformer driving a resistive load. With inductive loads you get the lowest inrush if you switch at peak. For small loads it is not so important. If you are designing for that you would use a non zero-cross driver (random trigger it is sometimes called) or use a peak trigger for large loads. I have seen mechanically switched transformers in the several hundred kilowatt size. The transformers would make quite a racket when the breaker closed at close to zero. My comment was more of an aside. Disregard it for your heater project.

For AC motors you can use a triac dimer type speed controller for certain kinds. I know that universal motors and shaded pole motors will work. Other types I don't know.

When designing PWM controllers with 555 timers you will often get some frequency variation as well as percentage modulation. This is completely OK as long as the frequency stays low enough to maintain the desired resolution and high enough to not cause overheating during the on time. Be sure to keep the charge and discharge currents with acceptable datasheet ranges.

BoB

Edit: If you are full wave rectifying the AC into your load then you can use the output of the 555. I forgot they are totem pole outputs.

Last edited:
Likes Archie Medes
Cheers for the detailed explanation BoB

rbelli1 said:
The period is set by the RC circuit on the 555
Yeah, that is what I meant by setting the period with the pot and cap on the 555 comparator inputs. I would prefer a controller that gave me both period and duty control, and was wondering if your suggested device offers that (I haven't got around to looking at it yet)

rbelli1 said:
In any case you need more than the NPN output of the 555 to properly drive the triac
The 555 output is driving the D input on the flip flop, the Q output is driving the triac gate, but yes, it is just a lazy connection at the moment, is should drive something else to power the gate. I'm not across the foibles of triacs yet.

rbelli1 said:
This puts your logic ground at neural voltage which may present a shock hazard in some instances.
This is the kind of thing I really need to understand (I don't). My education had no focus on designing power supplies or motor controllers - AC or DC, the only design focus was on logic. I really need to find myself some good textbooks/online courses on the subjects.

rbelli1 said:
My comment was more of an aside. Disregard it for your heater project.
A very informative aside, thank you.

rbelli1 said:
Be sure to keep the charge and discharge currents with acceptable datasheet ranges.
Thanks again, hadn't calculated the discharge through the 555.

I've use this awesome UAA2016 IC for a temperature controller. Here's the circuit.

UAA2016_AD.GIF

edit: BTW works well at 120 vac.

Likes Archie Medes
Cheers dlgoff, that looks pretty handy

Likes dlgoff

1. What is analog zero-point synced AC PWM?

Analog zero-point synced AC PWM is a type of modulation technique used in electrical systems to control the speed and power of AC motors. It involves manipulating the width of the AC waveform to achieve a desired output voltage. The zero-point refers to the point at which the waveform crosses the zero voltage line. This technique is commonly used in applications such as motor control, power supplies, and lighting systems.

2. How does analog zero-point synced AC PWM work?

The basic principle of analog zero-point synced AC PWM involves switching the AC waveform on and off at a high frequency. This creates a series of pulses that can be adjusted in width to control the output voltage. By varying the width of the pulses, the average output voltage can be controlled. The synchronization of the switching with the zero-point of the AC waveform is important for minimizing electrical noise and maximizing efficiency.

3. What are the advantages of using analog zero-point synced AC PWM?

One of the main advantages of this technique is its ability to control the output voltage with high precision. It also allows for efficient use of power, as the switching frequency can be adjusted to match the load requirements. Additionally, the synchronization with the zero-point of the AC waveform helps to reduce electrical noise and improve overall system performance.

4. Are there any limitations to using analog zero-point synced AC PWM?

While this technique has many advantages, it also has some limitations. One of the main limitations is the potential for electrical noise to interfere with the performance of the system. This can be mitigated through proper design and shielding techniques. Another limitation is the complexity of the circuitry required, which may make it more expensive to implement compared to other modulation techniques.

5. Is there a better way than analog zero-point synced AC PWM?

There is no one "better" way to control AC motors and other electrical systems. The choice of modulation technique depends on the specific application and its requirements. While analog zero-point synced AC PWM may be a suitable option for some systems, others may benefit from different techniques such as frequency modulation or pulse width modulation. It is important to carefully consider the needs of the system before deciding on the best method of modulation.