Investigating Unexpected Power Increase with Analogue FDM

In summary, the speaker is discussing their implementation of Analogue FDM on top of single carrier modulation using QAM and QPSK. They have successfully modeled and downconverted the signals, but notice a higher SNR when using multiple carriers compared to a single carrier. They are seeking advice on how to solve this issue and suspect it may be due to the difference between PSK and 4-QAM.
thavamaran
Hi guys, I am trying to implement Analogue FDM on top of my single carrier modulation (eg: QAM and QPSK) of Multi carrier modulation (eg: OFDM). For an example, I have two different pair of I and Q channels, where first pair is upconverted at 2.2 GHz and the next pair at say 2.7 GHz and them MUX them together as in FDM.

I model them in matlab. Then when I downconvert them, it is possible to downconvert them without Bandpass filter as its ideal case in matlab, with using correlator receiver and correlate them at exact upconverted frequency to remove the frequency component.

This all works perfectly fine, the problem is, when I transmit a signal say at 2.2 GHz without any MUX, I get SNR of 16 dB at the BER that I want, but when I MUX two different carriers and downconvert them, my SNR reaches almost 22 dB at the same BER.

Im really curious to know what would be the problem, why it needs higher energy, is there anyway that I can solve this 6 dB of extra power. Please advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you will find that it is just the difference between PSK and 4-QAM. You are putting twice as many bits into the spectrum.

What is Analogue FDM?

Analogue FDM (Frequency Division Multiplexing) is a technique used in telecommunications to transmit multiple signals simultaneously over a single transmission medium. It involves dividing the available frequency range into several non-overlapping channels, each of which can carry a separate signal.

What is the purpose of investigating unexpected power increase with Analogue FDM?

The purpose of this investigation is to understand why there may be a sudden increase in power when using Analogue FDM, and to determine if this increase is expected or if it could indicate a potential issue with the system.

What factors can contribute to an unexpected power increase with Analogue FDM?

There are several potential factors that can contribute to an unexpected power increase with Analogue FDM, including interference from other signals, faulty equipment, or improper channel allocation.

How can the power increase be measured and analyzed in an investigation of Analogue FDM?

The power increase can be measured using a power meter or spectrum analyzer. To analyze the increase, the signal power should be compared to the expected power level for the specific channel and any changes in the frequency spectrum should be examined.

What are some potential solutions to address unexpected power increase with Analogue FDM?

If the investigation reveals that the power increase is due to interference, adjusting the channel allocation or using filters to block out unwanted signals may be effective solutions. If the increase is due to faulty equipment, repairs or replacements may be necessary. It is also important to regularly monitor and maintain the system to prevent unexpected power increases in the future.