Analysis calculus proof kick start question

In summary, the statement states that if a function f is defined on all real numbers and is continuous at x=0, and if the function has the property that f(x_{1}+x_{2})=f(x_{1})+f(x_{2}) for all x_{1}, x_{2} in the real numbers, then f is continuous at all x in the real numbers. To prove this, we must show that the limit of f(x) as x approaches a is equal to f(a), and we can use the given property to show this by letting h = x - a and rewriting the limit as the limit of f(a + h) as h approaches 0. Then, using the given property again
gaborfk

Homework Statement

Prove: If [tex]f[/tex] is defined on [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] and continuous at [tex]x=0[/tex], and if [tex]f(x_{1}+x_{2})=f(x_{1})+f(x_{2})[/tex] [tex]\forall x_{1},x_{2} \in\mathbb{R}[/tex], then [tex]f[/tex] is continuous at all [tex]x\in\mathbb{R}[/tex].

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Need a pointer to get started. Cannot wrap my head around it. I understand that I need to prove that the sum of two continuous functions is continuous also.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
there is only one function here, f , it has the property that f(x + y) = f(x) + f(y) for all x, y

hint, show f(0) = 0

I know that the function is continuous at x=0. So how does showing it is continuous at zero help with showing the function with the property [tex]f(x_{1}+x_{2})=f(x_{1})+f(x_{2})[/tex] is continuous?

Thank you

f is continuous at x= a if and only if
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a}f(x)= f(a)[/itex].

If h= x- a, then x= a+ h and h goes to 0 as x goes to a: that becomes
[itex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}f(x+a)= f(a)[/itex].

Hi gaborfk! :smile:

Hint: f(a + epsilon) = f(a) + f(epsilon) :smile:

1. What is analysis calculus?

Analysis calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change. It involves the use of limits, derivatives, and integrals to analyze functions and their behavior.

2. What is a proof in calculus?

In calculus, a proof is a logical argument that demonstrates the validity of a statement or theorem. It involves using axioms, definitions, and previously established theorems to show that a statement is true.

3. How is calculus used in real life?

Calculus has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and analyze real-world problems involving rates of change and optimization.

4. What are some key concepts in calculus?

Some key concepts in calculus include limits, derivatives, integrals, and the fundamental theorem of calculus. These concepts are essential for understanding and solving problems in calculus.

5. How can I improve my understanding of calculus?

To improve your understanding of calculus, it is important to practice solving problems and to seek help from a tutor or teacher when needed. It can also be helpful to visualize concepts using graphs or diagrams and to review key concepts and formulas regularly.