Is Any Number Smaller Than a Lebesgue Number Also a Lebesgue Number?

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, a Lebesgue number for a covering of a set A in a metric space is a number r > 0 such that for all y in A, B(y,r) \subset U_i for some i. The infimum of all Lebesgue numbers is called the Lebesgue number for the covering. There is a debate on whether the Lebesgue number is the infimum or the supremum, with some arguing that any number smaller than the Lebesgue number is also a Lebesgue number. However, the majority seem to agree that it is the infimum.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let A be a set in a metric space and {U_i} be an open cover of A. A number r > 0 such that for all y in A, B(y,r) [itex]\subset[/itex] U_i for some i is called a Lebesgue number for the covering. The infimum of all Legesgue number is called the Lebesgue number for the covering.

Am I wrong in thinking that if r is a Lebesgue number, then any other number lesser than r is also a Lebesgue number, so that if soon as a Lebesgue number exists, the Lebesgue number for the covering is 0?

After all, if for some r > 0, B(y,r) [itex]\subset[/itex] U_i for some i, then if r > a > 0, B(y,a) [itex]\subset[/itex] B(y,r) [itex]\subset[/itex] U_i, so that a is also a Lebesgue number.

:grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure its not the supremum?

It's infimum in my book. And wiki doesn'T make a distinction btw a and the Lebesgue number.

Anyone know for sure?

Another vote for supremum.

Although I haven't seen a definition for the Lebesgue number before.

What is the purpose of analysis?

The purpose of analysis in scientific research is to thoroughly examine and interpret data to gain a better understanding of a particular phenomenon or problem. It involves breaking down complex information into smaller, more manageable parts to identify patterns, trends, and relationships.

What are the steps involved in analysis?

The steps involved in analysis vary depending on the type of data and research question. However, some common steps include data collection, data cleaning, data exploration, data transformation, data modeling, and data interpretation.

What is the difference between descriptive and inferential analysis?

Descriptive analysis involves summarizing and presenting data in a meaningful way, such as through tables, graphs, and charts. It aims to describe the characteristics of a dataset without making any generalizations or predictions. On the other hand, inferential analysis involves using statistical techniques to draw conclusions about a larger population based on a smaller sample of data.

What are some common methods used in data analysis?

Some common methods used in data analysis include statistical tests, data visualization, regression analysis, and machine learning. The specific method used will depend on the type of data and the research question being investigated.

Why is analysis important in scientific research?

Analysis is crucial in scientific research as it allows researchers to make sense of their data and draw meaningful conclusions. It helps to identify patterns, trends, and relationships that may not be immediately apparent, and can lead to new insights and discoveries. Analysis also ensures the accuracy and validity of research findings, making them more reliable.