1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis: No strictly increasing fn such that f(Q)=R

1. Oct 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that there is no strictly increasing function f: Q->R such that f(Q)=R. (Do not use a simple cardinality argument)

2. Relevant equations
    The section involves montone functions, continuity and inverses. I believe the theorem to be used is that a monotone function on an interval has a continuous inverse, and the intermediate value theorem.

3. The attempt at a solution
    In class, our professor said that f has a continuous inverse, but I'm not sure why exactly. From there, I realize you can use the intermediate value theorem to contradict the fact the inverse is continuous, by letting c belong to the irrationals and showing it is not in the image.

EDIT: I now have everything down to proving that a strictly increasing, onto function f:Q->R is continuous

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2011 #2
    Meant to say I have it down to proving that a strictly increasing, onto function: f: R->Q is continuous

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook