1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity and strictly increasing functions

1. Apr 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f:[0,1] →ℝ be a continuous function that does not take on any of its values twice and with f(0) < f(1), show that f is strictly increasing on [0,1].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Assume that f is not strictly increasing on [0,1]. Therefore there exists a,b,c between 0 and 1. where 0 < a < b < c < 1. such that f(0) < f(a) < f(b) and f(c) < f(b) < f(1). By the intermediate value theorem there exist a x between (a,b) and a y between (b,c) for there exists a k where f(a) < k < f(b) and f(c) < k < f(b) and f(x) = k and f(y) = k. Contradiction Therefore f is strictly increasing on [0,1].

Does this proof work or am I missing something again?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't think this is necessarily true. How do you conclude the existence of those a,b and c??

The idea of your proof is good though.

4. Apr 2, 2012 #3
    If [0,1] is an interval then there exists a value between 0 and 1 that I will call a, and therefore there exists a value between a and 1 since it is a interval which I call b and then there is a value between b and 1 called c as [b,1] is also an interval.

5. Apr 2, 2012 #4
    micromass' question seemed to be asking how you can select a, b and c to give the relationships you state for f(a), f(b) and f(c). Certainly there are non-monotonic functions that do not allow such a selection: ##x^2-0.5x##, for example.

6. Apr 2, 2012 #5
    Am I not allowed to assume and/or define their relationship? I mean for it to be non-mono there must be a point in the middle (not literally) of the interval where f(x) is either the min/max or at least curve up and then back down (or down then back up). So why can't I pick that number to be the value of f(b)?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  7. Apr 2, 2012 #6
    Well, you have to define how you pick the points properly for a proof. And my example function ##x^2-0.5x## does not allow you to pick points in the way you defined them. Neither does ##1.5x-x^2##. So you have to deal with those possibilities.

I think you are on the right track, but you're not quite nailling down the proof yet.

8. Apr 2, 2012 #7

jgens

Gold Member

You are allowed to define their relationship so long as their relationship holds for all non-monotonic functions in this case. Consider the example that Joffan posted. Making the selection you mentioned is not possible.

9. Apr 2, 2012 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Essentially b is a local maximum in your proof. If a function goes down and then up, it has no local maximum, but the function isn't strictly increasing, So you can't assume there is a local maximum.

Instead of trying to pick three points, just pick two points that break the definition of increasing

10. Apr 2, 2012 #9
    Actually, scrub that. By all means look at those functions but only to see that there are alternative shapes you might need to think about in [0,1].

The basic problem as that you are picking three points, and you really only need to pick two, based on some interval where the function is not increasing.

[[ edit: :smile: as Office Shredder said ]]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook