Dimensional analysis-how one variable scales w/ another

In summary, the conversation discusses using dimensional analysis to obtain a dimensionless version of the relationship between the thickness of a thin film of fluid and various variables. The resulting dimensionless groups are Π1 = Qρ/μ, Π2 = (h^3)g/(Q^2), and Π3 = θ. The question of what happens to the thickness when the flow rate is doubled cannot be answered without making additional assumptions.
funandgames97

Homework Statement

In PSet 3, Prob. 1(e), you determined the thickness h of a thin film of fluid (of viscosity µ and density ρ) flowing down an incline of angle θ, driven by gravity (acceleration g), via a supplied upstream flow rate Q per unit width (i.e., [Q] = (length)2/time).

(a) Using only dimensional analysis, obtain a possible dimensionless version of the relationship h = f(Q, µ, ρ, g, θ) for some arbitrary function f.

(b) From your result in (a), can you answer the question “If you double the flow rate Q, what happens to the thickness h?”

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using dimensional analysis on these variables, I obtained the following dimensionless groups:
Π1 = Qρ/μ
Π2 = (h^3)g/(Q^2)
Π3 = θ

Applying Buckingham Π theorem:
Π2 = f(Π1, Π3)
(h^3)g/(Q^2) = f(Qρ/μ, θ)

However, to answer part (b), I believe I would need to manipulate the Π groups that the function f depends on such that none includes either Q or h, while the Π2 outside the function should include both (which it does). I know the answer should be that when Q doubles, h increases by a factor of 2^(1/3), but I cannot figure out how to disentangle the Π groups. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you multiply your equation by ##\Pi 1##, you get $$\frac{\rho gh^3}{\mu Q}=g(Q\rho/\mu, \theta)$$
This is about the best you can do. Part (b) can't be answered without making additional assumptions.

1. What is dimensional analysis and how is it used in science?

Dimensional analysis is a method used in science to understand how one physical quantity or variable scales with another. It involves examining the units of measurement of different variables and how they relate to each other. This allows scientists to make predictions and determine relationships between different variables.

2. Why is dimensional analysis important in scientific research?

Dimensional analysis is important because it helps scientists to identify the fundamental relationships between different physical quantities. By understanding how one variable scales with another, scientists can better understand the underlying principles and mechanisms at work. This can also help to simplify complex problems and make them more manageable.

3. How is dimensional analysis used in experiments and data analysis?

In experiments, dimensional analysis can help scientists to design their experiments and select the appropriate variables to measure. It can also be used to analyze and interpret data, by identifying correlations and relationships between different variables. This allows scientists to draw conclusions and make predictions based on their data.

4. Can dimensional analysis be applied to all types of physical quantities?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be applied to all physical quantities, including length, time, mass, temperature, and many others. It is a universal method that can be used in many different fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using dimensional analysis?

While dimensional analysis is a powerful tool in science, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the relationship between variables is linear, and it may not account for more complex relationships. It also relies on accurate and consistent measurements of units, which can be challenging in some cases. Additionally, dimensional analysis may not be applicable in all situations, such as when dealing with non-physical quantities like emotions or behaviors.