Analysis: prove that ln(x) is a smooth function (i.e. infinitely differentiable)

In summary: WHERE f is smooth.In summary, the author is trying to find a way to prove that ln(x) is a smooth function, but is having difficulty because the function's domain is restricted to (0,∞). They show that 1/x is infinitely differentiable and can be calculated using taylor series.
yossup

Homework Statement

Prove that f(x) is a smooth function (i.e. infinitely differentiable)

Homework Equations

ln(x) = [itex]\int^{x}_{1}[/itex] 1/t dt

f(x) = ln(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking about using taylor series to prove ln(x) is smooth but I'm strictly told to NOT assume f(x) = ln(x) beforehand.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused. When you say you can't assume f(x)=ln(x), then how is f(x) defined?

Office_Shredder said:
I'm confused. When you say you can't assume f(x)=ln(x), then how is f(x) defined?

i guess i meant - we're supposed to derive that f(x) is smooth from f(x) = [itex]\int^{x}_{1}[/itex] 1/t dt, rather than f(x)=ln(x)

Ok. Can you calculate f'(x) from that definition?

Office_Shredder said:
Ok. Can you calculate f'(x) from that definition?

f'(x) is just 1/t, so i just go about proving that 1/t is infinitely differentiable?

That's correct, except it's 1/x not 1/t

Office_Shredder said:
That's correct, except it's 1/x not 1/t

ah right. i know it's intuitive that 1/x is infinitely differentiable but what do we use to rigorously prove it? taylor series?

yossup said:
ah right. i know it's intuitive that 1/x is infinitely differentiable but what do we use to rigorously prove it? taylor series?

Well, can you calculate the derivative of 1/x? How about the second derivative of 1/x? The third derivative?

Once you see a pattern, think about a proof by induction

Office_Shredder said:
Well, can you calculate the derivative of 1/x? How about the second derivative of 1/x? The third derivative?

Once you see a pattern, think about a proof by induction

thank you.

one caveat, which i feel i ought to mention:

the domain of definition *matters*.

you can define f on (0,∞), but not on any interval containing 0 (because f is undefined).

a similar restriction holds for the derivatives.

so it's not enough just to say f is smooth...you have to say WHERE f is smooth.

1. What does it mean for a function to be smooth?

A smooth function is one that is infinitely differentiable, meaning that it has derivatives of all orders at every point in its domain. This means that the function is continuous and has a well-defined slope at every point, without any sudden changes or breaks in its graph.

2. Why is it important to prove that ln(x) is a smooth function?

Proving that ln(x) is a smooth function is important because it is a fundamental function in mathematics and many scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is also a key component in the study of calculus and differential equations.

3. How can we prove that ln(x) is a smooth function?

To prove that ln(x) is a smooth function, we can use the definition of a derivative and apply the limit definition to show that the function has derivatives of all orders at every point in its domain. We can also use the properties of logarithms and the chain rule to simplify the process.

4. What is the domain of ln(x)?

The domain of ln(x) is all positive real numbers, or x > 0. This is because the natural logarithm is only defined for positive numbers, as the inverse of the exponential function y=e^x which has a range of y > 0.

5. How does the smoothness of ln(x) affect its graph?

The smoothness of ln(x) means that its graph is continuous and has a well-defined slope at every point. This results in a smooth, curved graph that increases slowly as x increases. The graph also has a vertical asymptote at x=0, where the function is undefined.