Analysis Question, I posted yesterday

• Thread starter Math_Geek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, if x is irrational and |x-3|< \epsilon then |f(x)- 6|= |x+3-6|= |x-3|< \epsilon. If x is rational then |f(x)- 6|= |2x- 6|= 2|x-3|. If x is not equal to 3 then the limit of any sequence {f(xn)}, where xn converges to a, would have to be f(a). And if xn were a sequence of rational numbers converging to a- what would {f(xn)} converge to? If xn were a sequence of irrational numbers converging to a
Math_Geek
[SOLVED] Analysis Question, I posted yesterday!

1. Homework Statement
Define f(x)=2x, x is rational and x+3 when x is irrational. Find all points where g(x) is continuous and prove continuity at these points

2. Homework Equations
From analysis homework and using the real definition of continuity

3. The Attempt at a Solution
what I did was I took the limit as x approached 3 of x+3, and found for 0<|x+3|<epsilon which will equal delta, then |X+3-6|=|x-3| which is less than epsilon. So then I know that the limit of the function =the limit of f(3) so therefore continuous at x=3. Is there anymore that I need?
Thanks,
Michelle

Physics news on Phys.org
Math_Geek said:
1. Homework Statement
Define f(x)=2x, x is rational and x+3 when x is irrational. Find all points where g(x) is continuous and prove continuity at these points

2. Homework Equations
From analysis homework and using the real definition of continuity

3. The Attempt at a Solution
what I did was I took the limit as x approached 3 of x+3, and found for 0<|x+3|<epsilon which will equal delta, then |X+3-6|=|x-3| which is less than epsilon. So then I know that the limit of the function =the limit of f(3) so therefore continuous at x=3. Is there anymore that I need?
Thanks,
Michelle
Any more? What you've done is not correct because the function you are dealing with is not x+3! You say nothing about why you are interested in
x= 3; could it possibly be because you have decided the function is only continuous at x= 3? It would have been a good idea to start by saying that and saying why you think that. As long as x is irrational and [itex]|x-3|< \epsilon[/itex] then [itex]|f(x)- 6|= |x+3-6|= |x-3|< \epsilon[/itex]. If x is rational then |f(x)- 6|= |2x- 6|= 2|x-3|. In order to make that less than [itex]\epsilon[/itex] how small must |x-3| be? How can you make sure both of those are true.

And what about if x is not equal to 3? If f were continuous at x= a then the limit would be f(a). That, in turn, would mean that the limit of any sequence {f(xn)}, where xn converges to a, would have to be f(a). Suppose xn were a sequence of rational numbers converging to a- what would {f(xn)} converge to? Suppose xn were a sequence of irrational numbers converging to a- what would {f(xn)} converge to? What does that tell you?

Both of these lines will intersect at the point (3,6), and you would have to make epsilon= e/2 to satisfy both functions when x is either rational or irrational.

Math_Geek said:

Hi Michelle! :smile:

This very unclear …

For a start, you meant 0<|x-3|<epsilon.

And I know you meant "in this case we can choose our delta equal to epsilon", but there are better ways of saying that.
Math_Geek said:
Both of these lines will intersect at the point (3,6), and you would have to make epsilon= e/2 to satisfy both functions when x is either rational or irrational.

hmm … a bit late …

Try writing it out, all in one go, and clearly! :smile:

1. What is an analysis question?

An analysis question is a type of question that requires a thorough examination and evaluation of data or information in order to provide an answer. It often involves breaking down a complex problem or situation into smaller components and analyzing each one.

2. What is the purpose of an analysis question?

The purpose of an analysis question is to gain a deeper understanding of a topic or issue by critically examining and interpreting data or information. It allows for a more comprehensive and in-depth evaluation of a subject, leading to more informed and accurate conclusions.

3. What are some examples of analysis questions?

Some examples of analysis questions include: "What factors contribute to the success of a marketing campaign?", "How does climate change impact global food production?", and "What are the effects of social media on mental health?". These types of questions require the analysis of various data and information to provide a well-supported answer.

4. How do you approach answering an analysis question?

There are several steps involved in answering an analysis question. First, clearly define the question and identify the key components or factors involved. Then, gather relevant data and information from reliable sources. Next, analyze the data using appropriate methods and techniques. Finally, draw conclusions and provide evidence to support your answer.

5. Why is it important to ask analysis questions?

Asking analysis questions is important because it allows for a deeper understanding and evaluation of a topic or issue. It encourages critical thinking and helps to uncover hidden relationships or patterns in data. Additionally, answering analysis questions can lead to more informed decision-making and problem-solving in various fields such as science, business, and politics.