Stuck on Analysis question dealing with Continuity of Set

In summary, the conversation is about proving the continuity of a function f on the interval [0,1] and the confusion surrounding the definition of set continuity. The idea of using epsilon and delta to prove continuity is mentioned, but there is also a mention of a jump discontinuity in the piecewise function. It is suggested to select an epsilon less than 1 to show that there is no delta around x=1 that satisfies the condition for continuity.
kbrono

Homework Statement

Define f: [0,[tex]\infty[/tex]) [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] R by

f(x) = {0 if x is [0,1] and 1 if x is (1,[tex]\infty[/tex] )

Homework Equations

I think if I can show that f is continuous on [0,1] and not continuous on every point of [0,1] then that will suffice. However I have now clue how to go about this, the definition of set continuity confuses me.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought is we make S=[0,1] we can set an epsilon or chose a delta that will hold for some points but not for all but again I keep losing myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a jump discontinuity with this piecewise function. Select an epsilon greater than 1, there will be no delta around x=1 such that |x-1|< delta that implies |f(x)-f(1)|< epsilon.

EDIT: Sorry, that should be select an epsilon less than 1...

FAQ: Stuck on Analysis question dealing with Continuity of Set

What is continuity of a set?

Continuity of a set refers to the property of a set where, intuitively, there are no "gaps" or "jumps" between the elements of the set. In other words, every point in the set is connected and there are no breaks in the sequence of elements. This concept is often used in the study of functions and their behavior.

What does it mean for a set to be "stuck" on an analysis question?

Being "stuck" on an analysis question dealing with continuity of a set means that one is unable to solve or understand the question, despite having attempted various approaches. This can be a common occurrence in mathematics and science, and often requires seeking help or taking a break before returning to the question.

How is continuity of a set related to the concept of limits?

Continuity of a set and the concept of limits are closely related. In fact, the definition of continuity for a function at a point involves limits. A set is considered continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point.

Can a set be continuous at some points and not at others?

Yes, a set can be continuous at some points and not at others. This is known as a function being "locally" continuous. It means that the function is continuous in some region or interval, but not necessarily over its entire domain.

How can one prove continuity of a set?

To prove continuity of a set, one can use the definition of continuity and show that the limit of the function at a point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. This can be done through various methods, such as using the epsilon-delta definition of limits or using theorems and properties of continuous functions.