How can I analyze soil samples for vanadium content using two different methods?

In summary, the conversation discusses obtaining data for analyzing soil for vanadium content using two different methods and whether they yield similar results. The suggestion is to use a t-test for comparing two sample means. The conversation also mentions finding the mean and standard deviation for each method and using the pooled standard deviation. Further information can be found in class notes or through online resources such as the Wikipedia page on Student's t-test.
oxshannon

Homework Statement

The following data were obtained for the analysis of soil for vanadium content in mg/g using two different methods. Do the two methods yield essentially the same results?

Method 1 Method 2
26.30 26.22
26.43 26.32
26.28 26.20
26.19 26.11
26.49 26.42

Homework Equations

I'm thinking I find the mean and standard deviation of each, find spooled and from there I'm not sure. So I know those 2 formulas, but I;m not sure on any others..

The Attempt at a Solution

Didn't attempt because I kind of need a push in the right direction, not someone to do out the problem..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FYI, I have moved your 2 recent statistics questions to "Precalculus Mathematics".

Looks like a t-test is needed here. There should be something in your textbook or class notes about comparing two sample means.

p.s. welcome to Physics Forums.

thank you!
i can't really find anything in my textbook, and the only reason I am unsure on how to do this is because i was really sick for the class so i didnt get to go, but I am still required to pass the assignment in, so I am legit lost :(

When you know the right search terms, Google gives a lot of hits:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp...pw.r_cp.&fp=93057ccd64abdef9&biw=1280&bih=678

Or check this wikipedia page; scroll down to the section titled "Independent two-sample t-test":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student's_t-test#Independent_one-sample_t-test

By the way, it's a good idea to ask a classmate if you could copy their class notes whenever you have to miss a class.

EDIT: out of curiosity, is this a statistics or a chemistry class (or something else)?

Last edited:
Thanks a lot!

It was the second day of classes (terrible time to come down with the flu), and I don't know anyone in the class, the professor just e-mailed me the assignment and still wants me to hand it in on time without notes. That's another story though.

It's an analytical chemistry class, so I guess the introduction is mainly statistics (which I never took, so I'm even more lost). It's a terrible situation really.

EDIT: That wikipedia link looks perfect for what I have to do.. thanks a lot! Also, any idea on the other question I posted? :-)

1. What is analytical chemistry and why is it important?

Analytical chemistry is a branch of chemistry that focuses on the identification and quantification of chemical compounds and elements in various substances. It is important because it helps us understand the composition and properties of different materials, which is crucial for many industries such as pharmaceuticals, environmental testing, and forensic analysis.

2. What are some common techniques used in analytical chemistry?

Some common techniques used in analytical chemistry include spectroscopy, chromatography, mass spectrometry, and electrochemical methods. These techniques involve the use of specialized instruments and equipment to separate, identify, and quantify components in a sample.

3. How does analytical chemistry contribute to scientific research?

Analytical chemistry plays a crucial role in scientific research by providing accurate and precise data on the composition of substances. This data can then be used to draw conclusions, make predictions, and develop new technologies and treatments.

4. What are some challenges in analytical chemistry?

Some challenges in analytical chemistry include sample preparation, instrument calibration, and matrix effects. Sample preparation involves extracting and purifying the desired compounds from a complex mixture, while instrument calibration ensures accurate measurements. Matrix effects refer to the interference of other substances present in a sample, which can affect the accuracy of the analysis.

5. How can analytical chemistry be applied in real-world situations?

Analytical chemistry has a wide range of applications in various industries, including pharmaceuticals, environmental testing, food and beverage production, and forensic analysis. It can be used to ensure the quality and safety of products, monitor pollution levels, and aid in criminal investigations.

Back