Analytical solution to mx"(t)+b(x'(t))x'(t)+k(p)x(t)=0

In summary, the conversation is about a differential equation that describes the pressurizing of liquid in a cylinder as a function of displacement. The equation includes terms for mass, damping, and stiffness, with the stiffness term being dependent on a parameter p. The question is whether there is an analytic solution to the equation. It is mentioned that there is no analytic solution for the equation with an unspecified parameter b, but if b is known, there may be a solution. There is also a discussion about approximating b and its potential effect on finding a solution.
dr_mushroom
Hello guys!

I have following differential equation mx"(t)+b(x'(t))x'(t)+k(p)x(t)=0. As can be seen, "attenuation term" is dependent of velocity x'(t).

Also stiffness term k(p) is dependent of term p, which is p=k(p)x(t)/A. In this equation A is constant and k(p) means, of course, same term as in our differential equation. And there we have x(t) again... It looks very hard, I know.. :)

This whole mx"(t)+b(x'(t))x'(t)+k(p)x(t)=0, p=k(p)x(t)/A describes pressurizing of liquid in cylinder as function of displacement.

I have no idea can this kind of equation be even solved analytically. I tried to solve it numerically in Matlab and got good results, that's not a problem. I would be however interested to see what kind of analytic solution there might be.

So, my question is that is there some analytic solution?

If there is no analytic solution, would there be analytic solution to even mx"(t)+b(x'(t))x'(t)+kx(t)=0? In this, we have deleted nasty dependence of p term in k(p)-->k

Thanks already for your answers and follow-up questions,
-DRmushroom

Physics news on Phys.org
With an unspecified b, this won't have an analytic solution, otherwise a very general class of differential functions would have one.

Hello mfb,

I checked and b(x') could be approximated with for example b(x')=100*(x')^(1/4), when x'>0. It is not exactly that, but quite close with few percent max. error. And anyway b is not very dominant term in this case anyway. So in this case we have solution? That's Interesting.. how it looks like and how could this be derived?

-DRmushroom

1. What is an analytical solution?

An analytical solution is a mathematical expression that can be used to solve a problem or equation without the need for numerical approximation. It involves using known mathematical techniques to find the exact solution to a problem.

2. What is the "mx"(t) term in the equation?

The "mx"(t) term represents the mass multiplied by the acceleration at a given time t. It is a common term in equations that involve the motion of objects, such as in Newton's second law of motion.

3. How does the b(x'(t))x'(t) term affect the solution?

The b(x'(t))x'(t) term represents the damping force in the equation. It is a resistance force that opposes the motion of the object and can affect the speed and amplitude of the solution.

4. What is the role of the k(p) term in the equation?

The k(p) term represents the stiffness of the system. It is a measure of the resistance of the system to changes in its position and can affect the frequency and period of the solution.

5. How can the analytical solution to this equation be used in real-world applications?

The analytical solution to this equation can be used to model and predict the behavior of systems that involve motion and damping, such as in mechanical engineering, physics, and other fields. It can also be used to optimize designs and improve the performance of systems.