1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analytically finding the stress tensor field

1. Jan 21, 2009 #1
    This hasn't been asked before, and I am more or less new to this subject. Therefore, I haven't done an attempt on the solution.

Say we have a 2 dimensional square of sides "a". 2 forces "F" of equal magnitude and opposite direction act on the opposite ends of the square such that the square is in static equilibrium.

How would I determine what the stress components are at any point x and y within the square? Let's assume this problem to be completely 2 dimensional.

-Ataman

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2009 #2
    I also need to know about a related problem although not for homework... I'm trying to do an order of magnitude calculation for a photoelasticity experiment.

If I have a cube/cuboid with a point force applied normal to one of the surfaces in the center and an equal and opposite force applied on the opposite surface (also in the center) - is there a way to analytically calculate the resulting stress distribution within the volume of the material?

I was reading about the stress equations of equilibrium in a photoelasticity text book - for example in the x direction the equilibrium condition is:

[tex]\frac{\partial\sigma_{xx}}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial\tau_{yx}}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial\tau_{zx}}{\partial z} + F_x =0[/tex]

where [tex]\sigma_{ij}[/tex] and [tex]\tau_{ij}[/tex] are the principal and shear stresses respectively and [tex]F_x[/tex] is the force in the x-direction. There are two similar equations for forces in the y and z directions which I don't think there's much point in posting.

From my google/google scholar search I haven't been able to find an analytical solution to these (or find out if one exists) for the relatively simple case I outlined above. I'd be very grateful if anyone can help me out or point to a good book or paper.

Thanks in advance!

4. Feb 10, 2009 #3
    this was quite useful.... and there's a reference in one of the modules to a book called "Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain" which gives solutions to most of the problems for which analytical solutions exist.

From a skim read of the Roark's Formulas book - I think the answer is that analytical solutions can be found for one dimensional beams, or circular plates... most other geometries are solved numerically using not just the equilibrium equations I previously alluded to but also the constitutive equations, and kinematic equations, as well as the boundary conditions of course.

hope that helps anyone who stumbles onto this thread.

And if I got anything wrong then by all means, correct me on it!

5. Feb 11, 2009 #4

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

aperception: I think you gave an excellent answer. Putting all those things you mentioned together is sometimes called continuum mechanics. Or sometimes it might be called elasticity. There is a good book on continuum mechanics by Y. C. Fung, but I have not read much of it yet. It would be interesting if someone could show how to start solving the problem given by Ataman.

Ataman: The applied force F, on each end of your problem, is a concentrated load at the side midpoint, directed outward and perpendicular to the side, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?