Anamolous Aerodynamic behaviour of small spheres?

In summary, cricket balls are believed to swing more in cool and damp atmospheric conditions compared to hot and dry conditions. This is due to the increased density of cool air and the effect it has on aerodynamics. However, the presence of humidity in the air may also have an impact. While there is limited research on this topic, it has been observed that the seam of a cricket ball can create a sideways force when it is positioned at an angle to the ball's path. Similarly, baseballs also have a seam that can affect the flight of the ball, but it is not commonly discussed how temperature and humidity may play a role in this.
John_RB
This refers to the behaviour of cricket balls. Every cricketer in the world believes that a cricket ball "swings" more when the atmospheric conditions are cool and damp (as in the UK) as opposed to hot and dry (as in Australia). I have watched a bit of baseball and I have never heard commentatators mention atmospheric conditions affecting the flight of the ball. Once the ball has left the hand there are only two forces acting - gravity and air resistance. "Swing" refers to the ball moving horizontally to the propelled direction (as well as vertically downwards of course).

Physics news on Phys.org
Cool air is denser and would have more noticeable aerodynamic effects. On the other hand, humid air is less dense, so that should decrease the aerodynamic effects. So I don't know why cool, humid air would be that different. (see figure in https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/density-air-d_680.html )

CORRECTION: I see in the figure in the link, that humidity has little effect in the temperature range of a sports event. So the primary effect would be the increased density of cold air. That should increase any aerodynamic effects in cold temperatures.

Last edited:
There is such intense interests in sports, I expect that questions like that must have been studied using high speed cameras or other instruments. Good luck finding the studies. You may have more luck at sports forums than here.

Does the baseball have a seam like a cricket ball? The seam is positioned at an angle to the path of the ball and makes the boundary layer unequal on the two sides, creating a sideways force.

tech99 said:
Does the baseball have a seam like a cricket ball? The seam is positioned at an angle to the path of the ball and makes the boundary layer unequal on the two sides, creating a sideways force.
Yes, the baseball has a seam and the pitcher often throws a ball that will maneuver different ways in flight: "curve ball", "knuckle ball", "slider", etc. But I don't remember hearing them comment on the effect of temperature or humidity on that aspect. They may have.

What is anamolous aerodynamic behavior?

Anamolous aerodynamic behavior refers to the unexpected or unusual movement of small spheres when they are subjected to air flow or other aerodynamic forces. This behavior is often observed in small particles or objects that are not affected by traditional aerodynamic principles.

Why is studying anamolous aerodynamic behavior important?

Understanding anamolous aerodynamic behavior can help scientists and engineers design more efficient and effective aerodynamic systems. It can also lead to advancements in fields such as materials science and fluid dynamics.

What factors contribute to anamolous aerodynamic behavior of small spheres?

The size, shape, and surface characteristics of the spheres, as well as the properties of the surrounding fluid, can all play a role in anamolous aerodynamic behavior. Other factors such as air pressure and velocity can also affect the behavior of small spheres.

Can anamolous aerodynamic behavior be predicted or controlled?

Due to the complex nature of anamolous aerodynamic behavior, it is difficult to predict or control. However, by studying the underlying principles and conducting experiments, scientists can gain a better understanding of this behavior and potentially find ways to control it.

What are some potential real-world applications of anamolous aerodynamic behavior?

Anamolous aerodynamic behavior has potential applications in fields such as microfluidics, drug delivery systems, and aerospace engineering. It can also be used to improve the efficiency of wind turbines and other aerodynamic devices.