Shelby's question at Yahoo Answers (Finding P with P^{-1}AP=D)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fernando Revilla
  • Start date
In summary, Shelby's question at Yahoo Answers is about finding the matrix P that satisfies P^{-1}AP=D, with A and D being given matrices. This question is important in science as it involves linear algebra, a fundamental mathematical tool used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. The significance of finding the matrix P lies in its ability to transform the given matrix A into a diagonal matrix D, which has many applications in science and engineering. Some common methods for finding the matrix P include Gaussian elimination, eigenvalue decomposition, and singular value decomposition, which utilize different techniques to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of A. This question can also be applied to real-world problems in finance, image processing, and quantum mechanics
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Let A be the real 3x3-matrix A =
0 1 1
1 0 1
1 1 0

(a) Compute the characteristic polynomial of A.
(b) Compute the eigenvalues of A.
(c) Compute the corresponding eigenvectors.
(d) Give a diagonal matrix D and an invertible matrix P such that D = (P^-1)AP.

Here is a link to the question:

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors question? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Shelby,

$(a)$ Using the transformations $R_2\to R_2-R_1$, $R_3\to R_3-R_1$ and $C_1\to C_1+C_2+C_3$ we get the characteistic polynomial: $$\begin{aligned}
\chi(\lambda)&=\begin{vmatrix}{-\lambda}&{\;\;1}&{\;\;1}\\{\;\;1}&{-\lambda}&{\;\;1}\\{\;\;1}&{\;\;1}&{-\lambda}\end{vmatrix}\\&=\begin{vmatrix}{-\lambda}&{\;\;1}&{\;\;1}\\{\;\;1+\lambda}&{-\lambda}-1&{\;\;0}\\{\;\;1+\lambda}&{\;\;0}&{-\lambda-1}\end{vmatrix}\\&=\begin{vmatrix}{-\lambda+2}&{\;\;1}&{\;\;1}\\{\;\;0}&{-\lambda}-1&{\;\;0}\\{\;\;0}&{\;\;0}&{-\lambda-1}\end{vmatrix}\\&=(-\lambda+2)(\lambda+1)^2
\end{aligned}$$ $(b)$ Eigenvalues: $(-\lambda+2)(\lambda+1)^2=0$, so we get $\lambda=2$ (simple) and $\lambda=-1$ (double).
$(c)$ The eigenvectors are: $$\ker (A-2I)\equiv \left \{ \begin{matrix}-2x_1+x_2+x_3=0\\x_1-2x_2+x_3=0\\x_1+x_2-2x_3=0\end{matrix}\right. $$ As $\lambda=2$ is simple, $\dim(\ker(A-2I))=1$ and easily we find a basis of this eigenspace: $B_2=\{(1,1,1)\}$. On the other hand: $$\ker (A+I)\equiv \left \{ \begin{matrix}x_1+x_2+x_3=0\\x_1+x_2+x_3=0\\x_1+x_2+x_3=0\end{matrix}\right.$$ Now, $\dim(\ker(A+I))=3-\mbox{rank }(A+I)=3-1=2$ and easily we find a basis of this eigenspace: $B_{-1}=\{(-1,1,0),(-1,0,1)\}$.

$(d)$ As a consequence of $(c)$:
$$D=\begin{bmatrix}{2}&{\;\;0}&{\;\;0}\\{0}&{-1}&{\;\;0}\\{0}&{\;\;0}&{-1}\end{bmatrix}\;,\quad P=\begin{bmatrix}{1}&{-1}&{-1}\\{1}&{\;\;1}&{\;\;0}\\{1}&{\;\;0}&{\;\;1} \end{bmatrix}$$ We can verify the result proving that $AP=PD$ (which implies $P^{-1}AP=D$).

What is "Shelby's question at Yahoo Answers" about?

Shelby's question at Yahoo Answers is about finding the matrix P that satisfies the equation P^{-1}AP=D, where A and D are given matrices.

Why is this question important in science?

This question is important in science because it involves linear algebra, which is a fundamental mathematical tool used in various scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

What is the significance of finding the matrix P?

The matrix P represents a change of basis that transforms the given matrix A into the diagonal matrix D. This is useful in solving systems of linear equations and in diagonalizing matrices, which has many applications in science and engineering.

What are some common methods for finding the matrix P?

Some common methods for finding the matrix P include Gaussian elimination, eigenvalue decomposition, and singular value decomposition. These methods utilize different techniques to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix A, which are then used to construct the matrix P.

Can this question be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, this question can be applied to real-world problems such as analyzing data in finance, image processing, and quantum mechanics. Finding the matrix P can help simplify and solve complex systems of equations, making it a valuable tool in various scientific and technological applications.