1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angle between function and axis

1. Feb 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What angle is between function [tex]y=\sqrt{3}x[/tex] and Ox axis?

2. Relevant equations
    For example is logicaly clear that angle between function y=x is 45 degrees or [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I just know that answer is [tex]\frac{\pi}{3}[/tex], but can't understand how to get it.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hint: the angle between the function and the x-axis is the same angle as between the tangent line at x = 0 and the x-axis (draw a picture to see why).
    Can you solve it now?

4. Feb 3, 2008 #3
    If x=0 then y=0. I can't understand. More concretly, how to calculate it?

5. Feb 3, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

Why do you need to set x,y=0? The question is why the angle between the line graph and the axis is pi/3, not the angle between the point (0,0) and the x-axis, which doesn't make sense. You can see that the graph is a line right? Now, let theta be the angle between the line and the x-axis. Do you know of way to find theta using trigo? You'll have to draw a triangle to see it.

6. Feb 3, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The slope of a line, such as y= x, is than tangent of the angle between the line and the x-axis. As you said before, the angle between the line y= x and the x-axis is [itex]\pi/4[/itex]. tan([itex]\pi/4[/itex])= 1. What is the slope of y= [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] x? What angle has that tangent?

7. Feb 3, 2008 #6
    [tex]\arctan\sqrt{3}=\frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]

8. Feb 3, 2008 #7

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, I misread the question, I thought it said [tex]y = \sqrt{3x} = (3x)^{1/2}[/tex] instead of [tex]y = \sqrt{3}x = (3)^{1/2} \cdot x[/tex]. I had a picture in my mind of drawing the tangent line at the origin and then calculating the angle of that with the x-axis, which could of course be done at any point. But since the function is just a straight line, it doesn't matter in this case (y' does not depend on x)

9. Feb 3, 2008 #8
    [tex]\tan\alpha=\frac{y}{x}=\frac{x\sqrt{3}}{x}=\sqrt{3}[/tex]
    [tex]\alpha=\arctan \sqrt{3}=\frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]

10. Feb 3, 2008 #9

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yep, that's the way to get it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?