1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angle between two skew lines

1. Oct 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem asks me to evaluate the angle between these two lines:
    ##r : \begin{cases}
    x - 2y - 3 = 0 \\
    3y + z = 0
    \end{cases} s : \begin{cases}
    x = 1 + 4t \\
    y = 2 - 3t \\
    z = 3
    \end{cases}##
    both oriented to the decreasing ##y##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Having found ##\vec v_r = (-2, -1, 3)##, ##\vec v_s = (4, -3, 0)##, ##P_r (1, -1, 3)##, and ##P_s (1, 2, 3)##
    I already know that the lines are askew. I then found out that in order to find the angle between the two lines, I have to first find a plane containing one of the two lines(for example ##r##) that is at the same time parallel to the other one(in this example ##s##). In a few words I have to find a line parallel to ##s## that meets the line ##r## in a point that belongs to ##r##.
    The thing is that I don't know how to find that parallel line to ##s## that at the same time passes into a point ##P_r## belonging to the line ##r##.
    Should I take one of the Cartesian equations of ##r## and see the projection of ##s## on it so to have the parallel line? And then see the interjection between this parallel line and ##r##? Or I should proceed in another way?
    By the way, this is the Cartesian form of the ##s## line I found:
    ##s : \begin{cases}
    \frac{3}{4}x + y - \frac{11}{4} = 0 \\
    z - 3 = 0
    \end{cases}##

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Do you know the dot product = scalar product? You don't have to construct new planes and whatever, once you have vr and vs the angle can be found in a single line on paper.

4. Oct 11, 2016 #3
    Ohw... I was so concentrated on the parallel line I didn't thought of that...
    Thank you and sorry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted