Intersection of Lines: Solving for m and n to Determine Concurrent Lines

In summary: I plugged in some values for m and n such that m + n ≠ 5 and it's true, the lines don't intersect if m + n ≠ 5. However, it seems that m = 10 and n = 0 is an exception.But the problem says if ##m+n=5## the lines are concurrent, i.e., the same line. So why are you trying to show they only intersect at a single point?Also, in your equation for ##s##: ##s = (-m - n, n - 11, 0) + z(n, n, 1)##, that point ##(-m - n, n - 11, 0)## doesn't satisfy the second equation for ##s
0kelvin

Homework Statement

For which m and n the lines are concurrent?
##r: \begin{cases} x & - & y & = & 1 \\ nx & - & y & - & 2z & + & m & + & 1 & = & 0\end{cases}##

##s: \begin{cases} x & - & nz & + & m & + & n & = & 0 \\ x & + & y & - & 2nz & + & 11 & = & 0 \end{cases}##

Solving r gives me: ##\left(1,0,\frac{m + 1 + n}{2}\right) + y\left(1,1,\frac{n - 1}{2}\right)##

Solving s gives me: ##(-m - n, n - 11, 0) + z(n, n, 1)##

For n = -1 or n = 2 the direction vectors are parallel.

The answer in the book is that for ##n \ne 2## and ##n \ne -1## and ##n + m = 5## the lines are concurrent. However, I've found that for m = 10 and n = 0 the lines intersect at a single point.

Physics news on Phys.org
0kelvin said:

Homework Statement

For which m and n the lines are concurrent?
##r: \begin{cases} x & - & y & = & 1 \\ nx & - & y & - & 2z & + & m & + & 1 & = & 0\end{cases}##

##s: \begin{cases} x & - & nz & + & m & + & n & = & 0 \\ x & + & y & - & 2nz & + & 11 & = & 0 \end{cases}##

Solving r gives me: ##\left(1,0,\frac{m + 1 + n}{2}\right) + y\left(1,1,\frac{n - 1}{2}\right)##

Solving s gives me: ##(-m - n, n - 11, 0) + z(n, n, 1)##

For n = -1 or n = 2 the direction vectors are parallel.

The answer in the book is that for ##n \ne 2## and ##n \ne -1## and ##n + m = 5## the lines are concurrent. However, I've found that for m = 10 and n = 0 the lines intersect at a single point.
I haven't checked your work, but assuming it's correct, I don't see what is bothering you. You know if ##n \ne 2## and ##n \ne -1## the lines are skew in 3D. So they may not intersect or may intersect at a point. So what's the problem?

Likes Floydd
I'm trying to reach the condition m + n = 5 for the lines to intersect at a single point. I plugged in some values for m and n such that m + n ≠ 5 and it's true, the lines don't intersect if m + n ≠ 5. However, it seems that m = 10 and n = 0 is an exception.

0kelvin said:
I'm trying to reach the condition m + n = 5 for the lines to intersect at a single point. I plugged in some values for m and n such that m + n ≠ 5 and it's true, the lines don't intersect if m + n ≠ 5. However, it seems that m = 10 and n = 0 is an exception.
But the problem says if ##m+n=5## the lines are concurrent, i.e., the same line. So why are you trying to show they only intersect at a single point?

Last edited:
Also, in your equation for ##s##: ##s = (-m - n, n - 11, 0) + z(n, n, 1)##, that point ##(-m - n, n - 11, 0)## doesn't satisfy the second equation for ##s## so you must have an arithmetic error.

I'm trying to find for which m the lines intersect and for which m they don't.

1. What is the intersection of two lines?

The intersection of two lines is the point where the two lines meet or cross each other. It is the solution to the equations of the two lines, and it represents the coordinates of a single point on the coordinate plane.

2. How do you find the intersection of two lines?

To find the intersection of two lines, you can use several methods such as graphing, substitution, or elimination. Graphing involves plotting the two lines on a coordinate plane and identifying the point where they intersect. Substitution involves solving one equation for a variable and substituting it into the other equation to find the value of the other variable. Elimination involves eliminating one variable by manipulating the equations and then solving for the remaining variable.

3. Can two lines intersect at more than one point?

No, two lines can only intersect at one point. This is because two distinct lines in a two-dimensional plane cannot share more than one common point. If two lines intersect at more than one point, then they are considered to be the same line.

4. What does it mean if two lines do not intersect?

If two lines do not intersect, it means that they are parallel. This means that the lines are always the same distance apart and will never meet. Parallel lines have the same slope but different y-intercepts.

5. Can two lines intersect and be perpendicular to each other?

Yes, two lines can intersect and be perpendicular to each other. Perpendicular lines are two lines that intersect at a right angle, forming four 90-degree angles. This means that the slopes of the two lines are negative reciprocals of each other, and their product is -1.