Angle of electron in an electric field

In summary, the conversation is about the angle θ and how to calculate it when driving around a corner. The student attempted to use tanx=sy/sx, but the book says tanx=vy/vx. The expert explains that these are two different angles and provides a picture for clarification.
Drizzy

Homework Statement

https://imgur.com/zEoCpc0
upload_2017-1-4_21-22-49.png

I am trying to figure put the angle and my attempt is tanx=sy/sx (I have calculated a value for the distances)

But my book is saying: tanx =vy/vx

I don't understand why my way of solving it is wrong... I don't get the same answer for x :/

Attachments

• 14835729221321207520276.jpg
    14835729221321207520276.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 368
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose you drive your car around a corner from point A to point B. The direction you are traveling when you get to B is given by the direction of your velocity VB at B. The angle θ, such that tanθ = sy/sx, is the angle of the red line that connects points A and B. But this is not the direction that you are traveling at B.
upload_2017-1-4_17-51-27.png

You are calculating two different angles. Here tanθs≠tanθv. See this picture for clear explanation:
wj6ih.png

Original post link.

1. What is the angle of an electron in an electric field?

The angle of an electron in an electric field refers to the direction in which the electron is deflected or accelerated due to the presence of an electric field. It is measured in degrees or radians and can be calculated using the formula tanθ = qE/m, where θ is the angle, q is the charge of the electron, E is the strength of the electric field, and m is the mass of the electron.

2. How does the angle of an electron in an electric field affect its trajectory?

The angle of an electron in an electric field determines the direction of its trajectory. If the angle is 0 degrees, the electron will not be deflected and will continue on its original path. However, if the angle is non-zero, the electron will be deflected and its trajectory will change accordingly.

3. What factors influence the angle of an electron in an electric field?

The angle of an electron in an electric field is influenced by several factors, including the strength of the electric field, the charge of the electron, and the mass of the electron. Additionally, the distance between the electron and the source of the electric field can also affect the angle.

4. Can the angle of an electron in an electric field be controlled?

Yes, the angle of an electron in an electric field can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the electric field or by manipulating the distance between the electron and the source of the electric field. This is the basis for many electronic devices, such as cathode ray tubes and particle accelerators.

5. How is the angle of an electron in an electric field related to its kinetic energy?

The angle of an electron in an electric field is indirectly related to its kinetic energy. As the electron is deflected or accelerated, its kinetic energy will change accordingly. However, the angle itself does not directly determine the kinetic energy of the electron.