1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Acceleration, 2 Pulleys on common axle

1. Apr 19, 2009 #1
    Note: This is similar to 2 previous questions I've seen here (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=261193"), and while this is my first post, I've lurked/found this site to really be helpful in getting me to be able to figure out how to solve problems I have with my physics homework.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two pulley wheels, one of radius 0.3 m and the other of radius 0.82 m, are mounted rigidly on a common axle. The rotational intertia of the two pulleys, which are clamped together, is 3.3 kg·m². A mass of 44 kg mass is attached on the left and a mass of 37 kg mass on the right, as shown.

attachment.php?attachmentid=15717&d=1222991526.jpg

Find the angular acceleration of the system. Take the clockwise direction to be positive. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s². Answer in units of rad/s².

2. Relevant equations

ΣΤ = Iα

ΣΤ = Τ1 + Τ2

3. The attempt at a solution

So, the process I followed was this:

I found the torques for each mass & radius:

Τ1 = -(m1)g(R1)sin(90) --> (negative because going CCW)

Τ2 = (m2)g(R2)sin(90) --> (positive because going CW)

Therefore: ΣΤ = (m2)g(R2) - (m1)g(R1) = g(m2R2 - m1R1)

Which means: g(m2R2 - m1R1) = Iα

α = g(m2R2 - m1R1)/I

Checking the units, I should get rad/s²:

m/s²·(kg·m)/kg·m²

Which is: (m²·kg)/(s²·kg·m²)

Results in: rad/s²

So my units check out.

So, with the following variables (I'm hoping I got the left/right values correct):

• g = 9.8 m/s²
    • m1 = 44 kg
    • R1 = 0.3 m
    • m2 = 37 kg
    • R2 = 0.82 m
    • I = 3.3 kg·m²

Plugging these in, I get:

α = [9.8]([37][0.82] - [44][0.3])/[3.3]

α = (9.8)(30.34 - 13.2)/3.3

α = (9.8)(17.14)/3.3

α = (167.972)/3.3

α = (167.972)/3.3

α = 50.90060606 rad/s²

Which, apparently, is wrong. So I'm at a loss. What did I do wrong? Or rather, what would be a good hint for me to figure out where I went wrong?

(and yes, I know it seems strange for an α > g... that doesn't seem to logically follow for me)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

Did you enter just 50.9?

4. Apr 19, 2009 #3
    No, but the homework system my teacher uses is very annoying in needing an incredible number of sig figs. So I always have to just leave everything my calculator prints out to have success.

Update: Yes. It didn't help. I'm apparently missing something in my calculations.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook