Angular Momentum Eigenfunctions for Bead on a Wire

In summary, the problem involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions for the given differential equation and applying boundary conditions. Then, the given wave function can be written in terms of these eigenfunctions.
thelonious

Homework Statement

A bead of mass m on a circular ring has the wave function Acos[itex]\stackrel{2}{}[/itex]θ.
Find expectation value, eigenfunctions & eigenvalues.

Homework Equations

The differential operator for the angular momentum is L = [itex]\hbar[/itex]/i ([itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]θ).

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found that the expectation value is zero, and now I would like to solve for eigenvalues and eigenfunctions. I understand that the eigenfunctions must have the form Ce-iθ/[itex]\hbar[/itex] ... but I don't know where to go from here. How can I begin to solve for these eigenfunctions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
thelonious said:

Homework Statement

A bead of mass m on a circular ring has the wave function Acos[itex]\stackrel{2}{}[/itex]θ.
Find expectation value, eigenfunctions & eigenvalues.

Homework Equations

The differential operator for the angular momentum is L = [itex]\hbar[/itex]/i ([itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]θ).

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found that the expectation value is zero, and now I would like to solve for eigenvalues and eigenfunctions. I understand that the eigenfunctions must have the form Ce-iθ/[itex]\hbar[/itex] ... but I don't know where to go from here. How can I begin to solve for these eigenfunctions?
How did you come up with that form for the eigenfunction? It's not quite right.

It is my understanding that since the eigenfunction will have the form L|λ> = α|λ> (where |λ> denotes the eigenvector and α its eigenvalue), and the operator L contains a partial with respect to θ, the eigenfunction must include e. Is this incorrect? I do not know how to solve for the exact eigenfunctions, but I expect that they will have this form.

It's close, but the function should depend on the eigenvalue a.

You want to solve the differential equation
[tex]\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial \theta} = a\psi[/tex]to find the eigenfunctions. The boundary conditions will then tell you what the eigenvalues are.

For the eigenfunctions, I have found:

L[itex]\Psi[/itex]=2A[itex]\hbar[/itex]icos[itex]\phi[/itex]sin[itex]\phi[/itex]

The boundary conditions:

[itex]\Psi[/itex]([itex]\phi[/itex],0) = [itex]\Psi[/itex]([itex]\phi+2\pi[/itex],0)

Can I find the eigenvalues with these equations?

Forget about the given wave function for right now. You want to solve the differential equation and apply the boundary conditions to find the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions.

Once you have those, then you want to write the given wave function in terms of those eigenfunctions.

1. What is the concept of angular momentum eigenfunctions for a bead on a wire?

The concept of angular momentum eigenfunctions for a bead on a wire refers to the mathematical representation of the wave function of a quantum particle confined to a circular path, such as a bead moving along a wire. These eigenfunctions are solutions to the Schrödinger equation and describe the probability amplitude of finding the particle at a specific location and with a specific angular momentum.

2. How are angular momentum eigenfunctions different from regular eigenfunctions?

Angular momentum eigenfunctions are different from regular eigenfunctions in that they take into account the particle's angular momentum, which is a vector quantity. Regular eigenfunctions only describe the position of the particle in space, while angular momentum eigenfunctions also include information about the particle's rotation and direction of movement.

3. What is the significance of studying angular momentum eigenfunctions for a bead on a wire?

Studying angular momentum eigenfunctions for a bead on a wire allows us to better understand the behavior of quantum particles in confined spaces, which has important applications in fields such as nanotechnology and quantum computing. It also helps us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and the role of angular momentum in the behavior of particles.

4. How do you calculate the angular momentum eigenfunctions for a bead on a wire?

The calculation of angular momentum eigenfunctions for a bead on a wire involves solving the Schrödinger equation with appropriate boundary conditions, which can be a complex mathematical process. The resulting eigenfunctions depend on the specific system and its properties, such as the shape and size of the confinement, the mass and charge of the particle, and the strength of any external fields.

5. Can angular momentum eigenfunctions be used to describe the behavior of macroscopic objects?

No, angular momentum eigenfunctions are a mathematical tool used to describe the behavior of quantum particles, which exhibit wave-like properties. They cannot be used to describe macroscopic objects, which follow classical mechanics and do not exhibit wave-like behavior.