Angular momentum of particle in xy plane

In summary, the angular momentum of a 4kg particle moving in the positive x direction with a velocity of 8m/s along the line y=4m, relative to the point (1m,10m), is determined by using the equation L=mrxv and setting the velocity vector to (8i+0j)m/s and the position vector to (i-6j)m. The resulting calculation of 4[(8i+0j)x(i-6j)] yields an answer of -192 kg*m^2/s.
barz1

Homework Statement

Okay so, particle of mass 4kg moves in positive x direction with v=8m/s along line y=4m. Find angular momentum relative to point (x,y) = (1m, 10m)

Homework Equations

Angular momentum L=mrxv

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, I set my velocity vector = (8i+0j)m/s and my position vector = (i -6j)m. I determined this position vector from the point (1,10) to the position of the velocity vector(0,4) and then just used the equation 4[(8i+0j)x(i-6j)] and came up with the answer -192 kg*m^2/s.

So my question I guess is did I determine my position and velocity vectors correctly and did is this how the angular momentum equation should be done?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi barz1! welcome to pf! :smile:
barz1 said:
Angular momentum L=mrxv

Basically, I set my velocity vector = (8i+0j)m/s and my position vector = (i -6j)m. I determined this position vector from the point (1,10) to the position of the velocity vector(0,4) and then just used the equation 4[(8i+0j)x(i-6j)] and came up with the answer -192 kg*m^2/s.

yes that's fine :smile:, except you used vxr instead of rxv :redface:

(personally, i'd have done an easy question like this much less formally … i'd say that the perpendicular from P to L is obviously -6j, so the angular momentum is 4 times -6j x 8i, = 192 i x j = 192 :wink:)

Hey thanks a lot tiny-tim ill remember your recommendation for test time.

1. What is angular momentum of a particle in the xy plane?

The angular momentum of a particle in the xy plane is the measure of its rotational motion around an axis perpendicular to the plane.

2. How is angular momentum calculated for a particle in the xy plane?

Angular momentum is calculated as the product of the particle's mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation. In the case of a particle in the xy plane, the distance is measured as the perpendicular distance from the particle's position to the axis.

3. Is angular momentum conserved for a particle in the xy plane?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a system of particles remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

4. How does the angular momentum of a particle change in the xy plane?

The angular momentum of a particle in the xy plane can change if an external torque is applied to the system. This can cause the particle to either speed up or slow down its rotation, depending on the direction of the torque.

5. What are the units of angular momentum for a particle in the xy plane?

The units of angular momentum for a particle in the xy plane are kilogram meters squared per second (kg·m2/s) in the SI system, and foot-pounds per second (ft·lb/s) in the English system.