1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum of this classical electron?

1. Aug 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a classical electron moves in a circle of radius 0.5mm with velocity 20ms-1
    what is the value of the quantum number L which gives a quantised angular momentum close to the angular momentum of this classical electron?

2. Relevant equations

L=r * p

3. The attempt at a solution

L=r*p
    500e-6 * 20=0.010

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2012 #2
    You need to throw in the equation for quantum angular momentum.

4. Aug 16, 2012 #3
    is it L=[itex]\sqrt{l(l+1)hbar}[/itex]

5. Aug 16, 2012 #4
    is it possible to find the value of the quantum number "l" (azimuthal quantum number)?

6. Aug 16, 2012 #5
    Check the dimensions in that formula.

7. Aug 16, 2012 #6
    do i have to presume that n=1 before i continue the calculation, because there is no mention of principal quantum number in the question?

8. Aug 16, 2012 #7
    The description says "classical electron". So I guess you should use Bohr's model here. What is the angular momentum in Bohr's model?

9. Aug 16, 2012 #8
    the lowest value for n is 1, this gives the smallest orbital radius 0.0529nm(bohr radius)
    L=r*p=mvr m=9.1e-31, v=20m/s r=0.5nm
    mvr=nhbar

L=n h/2pi=nhbar

10. Aug 16, 2012 #9
    I think you should use the latter formula to determine n that gives the closest match of L to that of the classical electron.

11. Aug 16, 2012 #10
    can you explain that again please

12. Aug 16, 2012 #11
    You can compute the angular momentum from the radius and velocity given.

You have the formula for the angular momentum in Bohr's model. What n gives the closest fit between the two?

You could also consider the other formula, involving the square root of l(l + 1). For large n, and correspondingly large l, what can be said about the results given by these two equations?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook