1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum (pendulum) Help

1. Feb 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a 1.5 kg pendulum bob swings in a vertical circle at the end of a 2m long string with negligible weight. If the bob is dropped from a height in which the string is horizontal and taut, what is the angular momentum at the bob's lowest point (in kgm/s^2)?

a 40
    b 10
    c 30
    d 20
    e 50

2. Relevant equations
    L=Iw
    L=mrv
    L(initial)=L(final)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using the formula v2=vo2+2aΔy to solve for linear velocity first. It would be v= sqrt(2*9.8m/s/s*2m) because it falls the length of the string to reach the horizontal correct? From there, I calculated v to be 6.26m/s, and then subbed that into L=mrv for a final answer of 18.78kgm2/s, but its a bit off the possible choices and I'm skeptical of my work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2012 #2

fluidistic

Gold Member

Looks ok to me. Maybe they took g as 10 m/s² which should be a slightly greater velocity and hence angular momentum.

4. Feb 13, 2012 #3
    Using 10m/s/s comes out to be 18.97, which is closer, but Im still not confident in that. I'm gonna keep trying some stuff, if anyone has anything to contribute please do so!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook