Angular momentum values and probabilities

In summary: So the Clebsch-Gordon coefficients would bezero for this problem.In summary, the student is trying to solve for angular momentum, but does not understand the Clebsch-Gordon coefficients. They are able to find that ##J^{2} = \frac {15}{4} \hbar^{2}## with a probability of 1.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

upload_2015-5-2_16-43-17.png

Homework Equations

upload_2015-5-2_16-46-45.png

upload_2015-5-2_16-47-33.png

upload_2015-5-2_16-48-1.png

The Attempt at a Solution

For a angular momentum ##J##, there exists the eigenvalue problems
$$J^{2} \mid j \hspace{0.02 in} m \rangle = j(j +1)\hbar^{2} \mid j \hspace{0.02 in} m \rangle $$
$$ J_{z} \mid j \hspace{0.02 in} m \rangle = m \hbar \mid j \hspace{0.02 in} m \rangle $$

(a)
So I will plug in the values to get me started with this position and spin state
$$ \frac {1}{\sqrt{24}} a^{-3/2} \frac {r}{a} e^{-r/2a} \Big [ \sqrt {\frac {1}{4 \pi}} cos \hspace{0.02 in} (\theta) \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} - \sqrt {\frac {1}{4 \pi}} sin \hspace{0.02 in} (\theta) \hspace{0.02 in} e^{i \phi} \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} \Big ] $$

But I have no clue what theta, phi, or r are supposed to be, or what I should do from here if this is even the correct first step.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You Have written it out correctly. But that is not necessary yet. Look at what the question is asking, it wants to know about eigenvalues. And the state you are given contains terms of spherical harmonics. What can you say about the spherical harmonics? (It makes the first question easier to deal with, rather than having to write out the entire state as a function of position coordinates).

Okay, so ##L^{2} \mid l m \rangle = l(l+1) \mid l m \rangle##, but how do I know what ##l## is? I didn't really understand your response, particularly
And the state you are given contains terms of spherical harmonics. What can you say about the spherical harmonics?
I have no idea what you are getting at.

I suppose based on the coefficients that one probability is ##\sqrt{1/3}## and the other is ##\sqrt{2/3}##, but I don't know the values.

If you look up some information on the spherical harmonics in quantum mechanics, then you can find what ##l## is.

Oh yes, so it is ##l = 1##, so then the value is ##1(1+1)\hbar^{2} = 2 \hbar^{2}##. So then you have ##\sqrt{1/3}## chance of getting ##2 \hbar^{2}##? But the azimuthal number is the same for both spherical harmonics, so then it seems like you just have 100% chance of getting ##L^{2} = 2 \hbar^{2}##?

Yep. That looks right.

Okay, so for (b) then it would be ##L_{z} = 0## and ##P(0) = \sqrt{1/3}##, and ##L_{z} = \hbar## with ##P(\hbar) = \sqrt{2/3}##?

We need to take the square of the coefficients to get the Probabilities. And as a sanity check, the probabilities of all possible outcomes should add up to 1.

Okay great. Now I am on part (e), knowing ##J = L + S##

I have

$$J^{2} \mid j \hspace{0.02 in} m \rangle = j(j+1) \hbar^{2} \mid j \hspace{0.02 in} m \rangle$$

Does it mean ##j = l + s##? If so, I know ##l = 1## in both cases. But also, isn't ##s = 1/2## in both cases? Since ##S^{2} \mid s \hspace {0.02 in} m \rangle = s(s+1) \mid s \hspace {0.02 in} m \rangle##

For ##\chi_{+}##
$$S^{2} \mid \frac {1}{2} \hspace {0.02 in} \frac {1}{2} \rangle = \frac {1}{2}(\frac {1}{2}+1)\hbar^{2} \mid \frac {1}{2} \hspace {0.02 in} \frac {1}{2} \rangle$$

And for ##\chi_{-}##
$$S^{2} \mid \frac {1}{2} \hspace {0.02 in} -\frac {1}{2} \rangle = \frac {1}{2}(\frac {1}{2}+1) \hbar^{2} \mid s \hspace {0.02 in} - \frac {1}{2} \rangle$$

So in both cases ##j = 1 + \frac {1}{2} = \frac {3}{2}##

Therefore,
$$J^{2} \mid \frac {3}{2} m \rangle = \frac {3}{2}(\frac {3}{2} + 1) \hbar^{2} \mid \frac {3}{2} m \rangle $$

What should ##m## be?
##J^{2} = \frac {15}{4} \hbar^{2}## with ##P = 1##

P.S. Since we didn't learn about Clebsch-Gordon coefficients, we do not need to actually find the probability

Last edited:
unfortunately, it is not possible to add up ##j = l + s##. It is slightly more complicated. Thinking about it intuitively, the orbital and spin angular momenta may be somewhat misaligned, therefore the measurement of the magnitude of angular momentum will have more than one possible value. On the other hand, ##m## is more simple. The operator for the z component of the sum of momenta is simply the addition of the operators for the z components of the two individual momenta.

1. What is angular momentum and how is it calculated?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of a body or system. It is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion) by the angular velocity (the rate at which the object is rotating).

2. What are the units of angular momentum?

The units of angular momentum are kilogram meters squared per second (kg·m²/s).

3. How does angular momentum affect the motion of an object?

According to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a system remains constant as long as there is no external torque acting on it. This means that if an object or system has a certain amount of angular momentum, it will maintain that amount unless acted upon by an external force.

4. What is meant by the term "quantum number" in relation to angular momentum?

In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is described by three quantum numbers: the principal quantum number, the azimuthal quantum number, and the magnetic quantum number. These numbers represent the different energy levels, orbital shapes, and orientations of an electron's angular momentum in an atom.

5. How are probabilities related to angular momentum values in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the wave function of a particle can be described by a set of quantum numbers, which determine the possible values of its angular momentum. The square of the wave function represents the probability of finding the particle in a certain state, and the different angular momentum values correspond to different probabilities of the particle being in a specific state or orbital.