Another double integral question

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating an integral with a given region of integration and reversing the order of integration. There is also discussion about uploading attachments and correcting a mistake in the integration process.
math_04

Homework Statement

Given the integral (shown in attachment) make a clear sketch of the region of integration and express the integral with the order of integration reversed. Evaluate the integral you found in (ii).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Everything is in the attachment. I kinda got lost in evaluating the integral. Please check whether everything else is right and hopefully I am on the right track!

Attachments

• Math015.jpg
    Math015.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 394
Physics news on Phys.org
wow, takes a while to approve attachments.

math_04 said:
wow, takes a while to approve attachments.
Just upload it somewhere else and link the picture.

If you have Firefox, install the Add-on "Imagebot" and it's easier than pie!

cmon, approve the image lol. i don't use firefox.

whats happened with my attachment? Why is it taking so long

math_04 said:
whats happened with my attachment? Why is it taking so long
Maybe bc most of the Mods were sleeping? Every person that helps here volunteers, relax you're not special.

There's an error in this step:
[tex]-\frac{1}{2}4x^3(x^4+y^2)^{-3/2}[/tex] is not the same as [tex] \frac{-2x^3}{\sqrt{x^4+y^2}}[/tex]

That's about all I can decipher from your working. The limits appear to be correct in the new order of integration. If you're doing integration by parts, you didn't include the expression for dv and v.

Cheers mate, finally got the answer. i made a mistake with my substitution.

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical integration that involves computing the area under a two-dimensional function. It is often used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to calculate various quantities such as volumes, densities, and probabilities.

How is a double integral calculated?

To calculate a double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you can use various methods such as the Riemann sum or the Trapezoidal rule to approximate the area under the function. Alternatively, you can use software or calculators to solve the integral analytically.

What are the applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many applications in science and engineering, such as calculating the mass of an object with a varying density, finding the center of mass of a two-dimensional object, or determining the probability of an event in a two-dimensional probability distribution.

What is the difference between a single and a double integral?

A single integral calculates the area under a one-dimensional function, while a double integral calculates the area under a two-dimensional function. A single integral has one limit of integration, whereas a double integral has two limits of integration, one for each variable.

Are there any real-world examples of double integrals?

Yes, double integrals are used in various real-world applications. For example, in physics, they are used to calculate the work done by a force over a two-dimensional path. In economics, they are used to calculate the total revenue of a company when the price of a product varies over time. In geography, they are used to calculate the total area of a region on a map.