1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Integral with Strange Limits of Integration

1. May 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the double integral ∫[0,1]∫[0,x^3] e^(y/x) dxdy
    (a) sketch the region of integration
    (b) evaluate the integral and
    (c) re-express the integral with the order of integration reversed

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    The problem is that I've never seen a double integral problem with the limits of integration with respect to x in terms of a function of x, not y. I couldn't find any examples online or in my book where this is the case. The problem is written such that your boundaries should be 0≤x≤x^3 and 0≤y≤1... but x=x^3 doesn't make any sense to me as an upper boundary for x.

I know how to do most double integral problems, reverse the order of integration, etc. but this has me stumped. Am I right in thinking this might be a typo? or is there some way to make sense of the region that I'm just not seeing?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2012 #2

sharks

Gold Member

Hi bossman27 and welcome to PF!

Using LaTeX, here is how your double integral appears:
    [tex]\int^1_0 \int^{x^3}_0 e^{(y/x)}\,.dxdy[/tex]
    But it should have been:
    [tex]\int^{x=1}_{x=0} \int^{y=x^3}_{y=0} e^{(y/x)}\,.dydx[/tex]

4. May 10, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

0 <= x <= x3 doesn't make sense to me either. That should be 0 <= y <= x3, and 0 <=x <= 1.

Are you sure you don't have dx and dy switched?
    This would make more sense.
    $$\int_{x = 0}^1\int_{y = 0}^{x^3}e^{y/x}dy~dx$$

5. May 10, 2012 #4
    I'm sure I did not switch them, that was exactly how the problem appears on this practice test... I was thinking that it was probably a typo as well, but as the final is tomorrow morning I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Thanks to both of you for the quick responses!

6. May 10, 2012 #5
    It's entirely possible that you are essentially being asked for the anti-derivative, so you should think of the bound for the integral as a parameter, and the internal integral as being taken with respect to some dummy variable [itex]x^\prime[/itex].

7. May 10, 2012 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That's an interesting idea, but I don't think it's applicable here. bossman27 said that the integral was exactly as it appeared on the practice test. I believe that the instructor switched the order of dx and dy by mistake.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook