Another Equilibrium Dilemma: Air resistance holding a truck in equillibrium

In summary, the problem involves a cart on a ramp in the back of a truck, with negligible friction on the wheels. The question is asking at what rate the truck must accelerate forward for the cart to remain stationary with respect to the ramp, given an incline angle of 23 degrees. After some calculations, it is determined that the force of air resistance must be equal to the horizontal component of the gravity along the incline in order for the cart to stay in equilibrium. This leads to the equation ma=Fair-mg, and at constant velocity, a=0, making Fair=mgsinθ.
Senjai
**Edit: Solved the problem, need help with some of the concepts though..

Homework Statement

The diagram shows a cart on a ramp which is fixed to the floor in the back of a truck. Friction in the wheels is negligible. At what rate must the truck accelerate forward for the cart to remain stationary with respect to the ramp. The angle of the incline is 23 degrees from the floor of the back of the truck.

The Attempt at a Solution

Another tricky question which doesn't give me much data, sorry i couldn't post a picture.

If the truck was allowed to move free, the horizontal component of the gravity along the plane would accelerate the truck down the incline.

When i ask myself "what force could hold it in equilibrium" i believe the only answer would be air resistance. So how could i generate enough Air Resistance to hold the cart in place.I stated that:

[tex] Fgx = Fairx [/tex]
i know that [tex] Fgx = mg \cdot sin 23 [/tex]

But i know that Air resistance would be exerted directly horizontal (not on the incline) so i know that the horizontal component would have to equal Fgx, but i don't know theta, or how to determine how to retrieve acceleration out of this..

I guessed and figured it was 67 degrees because Fair makes a right angle with Fg, and the theta between Fg and Fgy is 23 degrees.

So i tried:

[tex] mg \cdot sin 23 = ma sin 67 [/tex]

Cancelled out M, and solved a to be .. the right answer... I just realized this after i figured out everything haha. What i don't understand is why Fair = ma? The object will be put into equillibrium why are we talking about net force? and why isn't a negative if were talking about the trucks motion which is opposite of Fair?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The resultant force is ma, since the cart is moving down the plane,

ma=Fair - mg (I didn't write in the components parallel to the plane)

at constant velocity a = 0 so

Faircosθ=mgsinθ

haha thank you rocky! And thanks for constantly bailing me out :)

1. What is air resistance and how does it affect equilibrium?

Air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. It is caused by the collision of air molecules with the surface of the object. In the case of a truck, air resistance would act in the opposite direction of the truck's motion, creating a drag force that must be overcome in order to maintain equilibrium.

2. How does the size and shape of the truck affect air resistance?

The size and shape of the truck play a significant role in the amount of air resistance it experiences. A larger and less aerodynamic truck will experience more air resistance compared to a smaller and more streamlined truck. This is because a larger surface area and rougher edges create more opportunities for air molecules to collide with the truck, resulting in a greater force of air resistance.

3. Can air resistance ever be completely eliminated?

No, air resistance cannot be completely eliminated. It is a natural force that exists whenever an object moves through air. However, it can be reduced by designing objects with streamlined shapes and smooth surfaces, and by minimizing the speed at which the object moves.

4. How does air resistance affect the energy efficiency of a truck?

Air resistance can significantly impact the energy efficiency of a truck. The greater the air resistance, the more energy is needed to overcome it and maintain equilibrium. This means that a truck with high air resistance will require more fuel to move at the same speed as a truck with lower air resistance.

5. How can air resistance be taken into account in the design of trucks?

In order to minimize the effects of air resistance on a truck, engineers can use aerodynamic design principles to create a more streamlined shape. This can include features such as a sloping front, curved sides, and a tapered rear. Additionally, using materials with smooth surfaces and reducing the overall weight of the truck can also help to decrease air resistance.