Another medical physics thread. PhD.

In summary, a user on a forum expressed interest in a medical physics subforum and asked for recommendations on active areas of research in the field. Another user suggested some resources, including a list of 2008 highlights in Physics in Medicine & Biology and a link to their own work. The first user thanked the second for the suggestions and expressed their intention to read through the resources before further discussion.
fasterthanjoao
Hello,

[aside]
So I've seen a lot of medical physics related posts on this forum recently, as well as some good answers to questions (thanks go out in particular to Choppy!) and would like to get out-of-the-way my support for a medical physics subforum. Anyway, on to the point.
[\aside]

I'll be graduating from a physics degree shortly, and haven't got anything sorted for next year as far as work/research projects etc. go - partly because I've been taking time to think and partly because of personal circumstances. That said, I've been interested in medical physics for a while so I've been trying to get an idea of the active areas of research that are around at the moment, with a view to applications for next year. So far, I've taken an interest in radiation physics as well as ophthalmic and brain imaging - I'd like to hear from any medphys researchers out there either about their own area or links to any review papers on 'seminal' type work for the field, basically so I can get a start on ideas for where I might wish to work.

thanks,

ftj

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank FTJ,

This might be what you're looking for:

Physics in Medicine & Biology's 2008 Highlights. (I believe these papers are freely available.)
http://www.iop.org/EJ/journal/-page=extra.highlights2008/0031-9155

Also, a plug for some stuff I am involved in:
http://mp.med.uAlberta.ca/linac-mr/

Last edited:
Thank you, Choppy, that looks to be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm going to spend a good bit of time reading through those, as well as your own work before posting further.

What is medical physics?

Medical physics is a branch of physics that applies principles and methods of physics to medicine, particularly in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases using radiation and other forms of energy.

What is a PhD in medical physics?

A PhD in medical physics is a doctoral degree that prepares individuals for a career in research or advanced clinical practice in the field of medical physics. It typically involves coursework, research, and a dissertation.

What are the job opportunities for someone with a PhD in medical physics?

Individuals with a PhD in medical physics can work in various settings, such as hospitals, research institutions, government agencies, and industry. Some common job titles include medical physicist, research scientist, and radiation safety officer.

What skills are necessary for a PhD in medical physics?

In addition to a strong background in physics, individuals pursuing a PhD in medical physics should possess critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and the ability to work independently. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important, as medical physicists often work with other healthcare professionals.

What is the difference between a PhD in medical physics and a medical physics residency?

A PhD in medical physics focuses on research and the development of new technologies and techniques in the field. On the other hand, a medical physics residency is a clinical training program that prepares individuals for a career in medical physics practice. Both are necessary for a well-rounded career in medical physics.