1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another nontrivial (trick) question in Chapter 7

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1
    Problem 13 in Chapter 7 of baby Rudin states:

Assume [tex]\{f_n\}[/tex] is a sequence of monotonically increasing functions on R with [tex]0 \leq f_n(x) \leq 1[/tex] for all x and all n.
    (a) Prove that there is a function f and a sequence [tex]\{n_k\}[/tex] such that [tex]f(x) = \lim_{k \rightarrow \infty}f_{n_k}(x)[/tex] for every x in R.
    (b) If, moreover, f is continuous, prove that [tex]f_{n_k} \rightarrow f[/tex] uniformly on R.

Anyone else notice a problem with (b)?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2007 #2
    I have boldy decided to post what I think is a misleading error in baby Rudin. And it's slightly less trivial than the error in Definition 1.5 (ii). I urge anyone to correct me if I'm wrong.

Nonetheless, I can even strengthen the hypothesis with [tex]f_1 \leq f_2 \leq ...[/tex] and get a counterexample to (b). Set [tex]f_n(x) = 0, x \leq -n, f_n(x) = 1, x > -n[/tex]. I.e. [tex]f_n(x) = I(x+n)[/tex] is a sequence of step functions. In particular, step functions are monotonic increasing, so they satisfy the hypothesis. This is a pointwise convergent sequence, every subsequence converges to the same thing, [tex]f(x) = 1[/tex]. f is continuous, but the convergence is not uniform.

However, it converges uniformly on compact subsets. In summary, I think that's a typo. (b) should read [tex]f_{n_k} \rightarrow f[/tex] uniformly on compact subsets of R.

P.S. You can also construct a sequence of strictly increasing functions that will yield the same counterexample. I think you can modify [tex]f_n(x) = tan^{-1}(x+n)[/tex] appropriately.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?