Another nontrivial (trick) question in Chapter 7

• Thread starter rudinreader
  • Start date
In summary, the problem in Chapter 7 of baby Rudin discusses a sequence of monotonically increasing functions on R with certain properties. The problem asks to prove the existence of a function and sequence that satisfy a specific condition. However, there seems to be an error in part (b) of the problem, as a counterexample can be constructed that shows the convergence is not uniform. The correct statement should be that the convergence is only uniform on compact subsets of R.
rudinreader
Problem 13 in Chapter 7 of baby Rudin states:

Assume [tex]\{f_n\}[/tex] is a sequence of monotonically increasing functions on R with [tex]0 \leq f_n(x) \leq 1[/tex] for all x and all n.
(a) Prove that there is a function f and a sequence [tex]\{n_k\}[/tex] such that [tex]f(x) = \lim_{k \rightarrow \infty}f_{n_k}(x)[/tex] for every x in R.
(b) If, moreover, f is continuous, prove that [tex]f_{n_k} \rightarrow f[/tex] uniformly on R.

Anyone else notice a problem with (b)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have boldy decided to post what I think is a misleading error in baby Rudin. And it's slightly less trivial than the error in Definition 1.5 (ii). I urge anyone to correct me if I'm wrong.

Nonetheless, I can even strengthen the hypothesis with [tex]f_1 \leq f_2 \leq ...[/tex] and get a counterexample to (b). Set [tex]f_n(x) = 0, x \leq -n, f_n(x) = 1, x > -n[/tex]. I.e. [tex]f_n(x) = I(x+n)[/tex] is a sequence of step functions. In particular, step functions are monotonic increasing, so they satisfy the hypothesis. This is a pointwise convergent sequence, every subsequence converges to the same thing, [tex]f(x) = 1[/tex]. f is continuous, but the convergence is not uniform.

However, it converges uniformly on compact subsets. In summary, I think that's a typo. (b) should read [tex]f_{n_k} \rightarrow f[/tex] uniformly on compact subsets of R.

P.S. You can also construct a sequence of strictly increasing functions that will yield the same counterexample. I think you can modify [tex]f_n(x) = tan^{-1}(x+n)[/tex] appropriately.

Yes, there does seem to be an issue with part (b) of this problem. The statement says that if f is continuous, then f_{n_k} \rightarrow f uniformly on R. However, this may not necessarily be true. In order for a sequence of functions to converge uniformly, all of the functions in the sequence must be continuous. However, the given sequence \{f_n\} is only required to be monotonically increasing and have values between 0 and 1, not necessarily continuous. Therefore, it is not guaranteed that f_{n_k} will converge uniformly to f. This may be a mistake or oversight in the problem statement.

FAQ: Another nontrivial (trick) question in Chapter 7

1. What is the purpose of including a "trick" question in a chapter?

The purpose of a "trick" question is to challenge the reader's critical thinking skills and to test their understanding of the material. It also serves as a way to reinforce important concepts and to encourage deeper thinking about the topic.

2. Why is it important for scientists to be able to solve nontrivial questions?

Solving nontrivial questions is a crucial skill for scientists, as it allows them to think critically and creatively to find solutions to complex problems. This is essential in the constantly evolving field of science, where new challenges and obstacles arise regularly.

3. How can one approach a nontrivial question in Chapter 7?

When faced with a nontrivial question in Chapter 7, it is important to first understand the question and its underlying concepts. Then, one can break down the question into smaller parts and use their knowledge and critical thinking skills to find the solution.

4. Can "trick" questions be beneficial for learning?

Yes, "trick" questions can be beneficial for learning as they promote critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and deeper understanding of the material. They also help to improve memory retention and recall of important concepts.

5. How can one avoid falling for a "trick" question in Chapter 7?

To avoid falling for a "trick" question in Chapter 7, it is important to carefully read and understand the question, pay attention to important keywords and phrases, and use critical thinking skills to analyze and approach the question. It can also be helpful to review and understand the key concepts and principles covered in the chapter.

Back